Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for a low carb diet

(6 Posts)
Forfudgecake Mon 17-Jun-19 11:21:39

My dad has been told to go on a low carb diet after a health scare. He comes to our house twice a week for dinner and as our meals are usually based around pasta/potatoes/rice, I haven't got a clue what to make. One of the days I have plenty of time to cook and the other day one of my DD's has a club so I usually put something in the slow cooker to be ready when we get home. I really don't want to cook separate meals so any ideas to feed 3 adults and 3 kids? None of them like spicy food either.

OP’s posts: |
FawnDrench Mon 17-Jun-19 19:15:07

There are 2 separate topic areas/boards for low carb diets on Mumsnet, with loads of recipes, so if you have a look there I'm sure you will find some inspiration!

PCohle Mon 17-Jun-19 20:10:59

The BBC has a big section on low carb meals which you could have a browse through. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/low-carbohydrate-recipes

I think making a meal you'd normally serve with rice and serving it to your dad with cauliflower rice could be quite easy. Or replacing pasta with courgetti.

Forfudgecake Mon 17-Jun-19 22:14:20

That's great thank you both.

I actually picked up some steam from frozen cauliflower rice whilst shopping today as I'd heard him mention it.

OP’s posts: |
Myfoolishboatisleaning Tue 18-Jun-19 02:23:44

I think the best thing to do is change what you base your meals around. I base mine around the vegetables, often cooked but always a salad on the side. I then add protein. If others want to add some carbs they can add some quinoa or bread. I started low carbing last year and I love this way of eating. I don’t do high fat though, more of a Mediterranean diet.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 18-Jun-19 05:15:24

Courgette gratin www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/tomatoes/courgettes-and-tomatoes-au-gratin
Spanish chicken stew realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spanish-chicken-stew.html
Stuffed peppers realfood.tesco.com/recipes/greek-style-stuffed-peppers-with-beef.html
Slow cooker chicken casserole realfood.tesco.com/recipes/slow-cooker-chicken-casserole.html
Cauliflower cheese and bacon www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/perfect_cauliflower_27405
Frittata
Carrot and feta burgers without burger buns realfood.tesco.com/recipes/carrot-and-feta-burgers.html
Bacon and ricotta baked frittata www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3077673/bacon-and-ricotta-ovenbaked-frittata

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »