Talk

Advanced search

Do any supermarkets still sell 'Italian style' sausages?

(20 Posts)
Pasgaddi Thu 13-Jun-19 22:03:49

Sainsburys used to do one - they taste almost sweet, with fennel. The sort of "Italian Sausage" you get on Papa Johns pizza...

I think this was them, but you can't seem to get them any more:
www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Gluten_free/Sainsburys_Taste_the_Difference_Sicilian_Style_Sausage_8_per_pack_530g.html

Described here www.nigella.com/ask/where-to-buy-italian-sausages

I think somewhere else used to do them too, maybe M&S but I might be wrong. Has anyone seen any anywhere? They're a specific fennelly taste I really love! They were great in a pasta dish.

OP’s posts: |
LiliesAndChocolate Thu 13-Jun-19 23:00:28

I am in Australia and buy my Italian sausages at Italian deli shops.
Maybe there is an Italian deli near you?

Pasgaddi Fri 14-Jun-19 13:19:45

Apparently there was but it closed down sad I'll keep searching though!

Xiaoxiong Fri 14-Jun-19 17:57:33

I have this same problem. Now I use Cumberland sausages and add chilli and fennel seeds into any dish where I would otherwise be using Italian sausage.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 14-Jun-19 17:59:40

I think Asda have them? Or it might be Tesco. Sure I've seen them recently

stucknoue Fri 14-Jun-19 18:02:58

Waitrose had them, not sure about now. It's merengez sausages I can't source in my city

Xiaoxiong Fri 14-Jun-19 18:04:52

Haha stuck this week we have had the waitrose Aberdeen Angus sausages and I fake seasoned them with harissa and cumin to be like merguez because we couldn't find them either!!

Expressedways Fri 14-Jun-19 18:06:30

If you’re in/around London maybe try Whole Foods? You can probably look on amazon first to see if they stock them and if it’s worth the trip.

ReapersHowler Fri 14-Jun-19 18:10:08

You can get italian style chicken sausages from Heck and in Aldi/Lidl too if they would work?

3catsandcounting Fri 14-Jun-19 18:16:16

Not Italian but I'm looking forward to trying these.

stephn88 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:37:46

Toulouse sausages are amazing! Super super garlicky but that's what is so good about them

ILikeyourHairyHands Fri 14-Jun-19 18:53:48

Merguez are impossible to find, I buy in bulk online and freeze in smaller portions.

Pasgaddi Fri 14-Jun-19 19:01:48

Nowhere near a Whole Foods sadly!

ComeBackBarack Fri 14-Jun-19 20:05:40

M&S have them. Add more fennel seeds to whatever you are making with them...

AdaColeman Fri 14-Jun-19 20:16:31

Not exactly what you are looking for, but salami flavoured with fennel is widely available, look out for salame di Finocchio, Ocado and Sainsburys sell it.
It would work with pizza, especially with some cheese scattered on top, and a few slices in a sausage casserole would add a lovely flavour.

TaxiPlease Fri 14-Jun-19 20:53:25

Do you mean salsiccia? Like these?

salsicciamo.com/

Waitrose seem to have them:
www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/madeo-calabrian-salciccia-blackpig/802571-635076-635077

I'm not in the UK, but here Aldi and Lidl also sell them during their (fairly regular) "Italian week", might be worth keeping an eye on.

Pasgaddi Fri 14-Jun-19 23:18:32

no, not salsiccia - but that fennel salami stuff does sound nice. Just normal english sausages but with fennel flavouring. Yes I now realise I could just add fennel, but not 100% sure I'd end up with quite what I'm looking for! I'll check out M&S too...

goldpendant Sat 15-Jun-19 16:47:40

They were so good weren't they.

I used to make a delicious "sausage pasta" with them too 😞 it was DH's favourite comfort food!

chicshadow Sat 15-Jun-19 16:48:50

Costco sell some lovely ones!

LtGreggs Sat 15-Jun-19 16:52:59

I had the same problem this week - I've bought taste the difference plain pork sausages and a fennel bulb...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »