Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast/lunch for 2 year old fussy eater?

(5 Posts)
Nuttyaboutnutella Wed 05-Jun-19 13:32:29

My little boy is 2 and can be fussy at times. Admittedly, I've been quite lax with his meals and I struggled with late pregnancy. The baby is now nearly 2 weeks old so I'm trying to focus on offering him variety again. Except I have a major mental block.

Any suggestions on what to offer a fussy toddler for breakfast/lunch?

At the moment, he's having mostly Cheerios or toast with fruit for breakfast, and a cheese sandwich or tortilla pizza for lunch with fruit and perhaps a small handful of crisps.

OP’s posts: |
MotherWol Wed 05-Jun-19 15:59:01

Breakfast ideas:
- pancakes (bought or home made, they freeze well if you make a batch)
- porridge
- eggs - scrambled, boiled or mini omelette. Melt a tsp of butter in a ramekin in the microwave, crack an egg in, whisk well, nuke for a minute. Optional add-ins: cheese/ham/peas

Lunch:
- hummus/dips and veg/bread sticks
- cold roast chicken with half a jacket potato
- soup and toast

Embrace the freezer/microwave! Frozen mashed potato and rice saves loads of time, and means you can do a tiny portion, so there's no waste if they don't like it. You can stir frozen peas and sweetcorn into basically anything. It somehow doesn't hurt so much when they refuse food if you've not been slaving over a hot stove.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 05-Jun-19 16:39:52

Porridge with different things stirred in to vary the flavour:
A teaspoon of peanut butter and a small chopped banana
A teaspoon of almond butter/ground almonds and a handful of raspberries
Desiccated coconut and some chopped mango and/or tinned pineapple
Toffee yogurt and chopped pear
A teaspoon of marmalade and some raisins

Vary the types of bread you use for the toast. You could try bagels, buttered fruit loaf, toasted crumpets etc...

Vary your toast toppings - nut butters, cream cheese, baked beans, ham and cheese, salmon pate, mashed banana...

Ricekrispie22 Wed 05-Jun-19 17:05:20

Lunch:
Oat cakes/rice cakes spread with cream cheese, humous, guacamole or fish pate
Pasta salad
Pitta bread filled with humous and veg or falafel
Homemade sausage roll and veg sticks
Sweetcorn fritters
Tuna and sweetcorn burger
Slice of frittata
Egg and soldiers

notatwork Wed 05-Jun-19 17:11:46

Dippy egg and soldiers. Teach him humpty dumpty. Then buy this egg cup egg cup and toast stamp

What you are feeding him now is fine, by the way. Lots of fruit and veg is good as it keeps his taste buds active, rather than reverting to bland carbs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »