Talk

Advanced search

First time risotto recipe

(9 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfDoughnuts Tue 04-Jun-19 14:20:18

I've never made a risotto before. Wanting to serve with fish or chicken. What recipe would you recommend?

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:36:35

i use this one x

Rarfy Tue 04-Jun-19 14:39:47

I just did this one for my first risotto at the wkend. Dp enjoyed it and dfil loved it! Easy enough to do.

Rarfy Tue 04-Jun-19 14:40:00

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-mushroom-risotto

woodcutbirds Tue 04-Jun-19 14:45:00

I'd do this:
One leek, washed trimmed and finely chopped
one carrot - same
fry them slowly on low heat with a generous chunk of butter and some olive oil.

Once the leek is translucent, add a mugful of risotto rice (arborio or similar) and two or three chopped chicken breasts and stir until the rice is almost translucent too. Then add one glass of wine and stir.

Make up a litre of chicken stock and add it gradually as the rice absorbs the liquid. Add some fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, oregano or marjoram and some black pepper.

If you like mushrooms, add some finely sliced pale button mushrooms at this stage. Not dark field mushrooms, the flavour needs to be very delicate.

If you want some sharpness, add the zest and juice of a fresh lemon too.

Towards the end, add a mug or two of petit pois and cook for a couple of minutes.

Before serving grate in some grana padano cheese (real parmesan is too overpowering.) Some people add cream instead or as well. I don't. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.

Serves four people.

stucknoue Tue 04-Jun-19 14:52:47

I have a cheat recipe I use (mine).

Sauté onion, celery and leek (or other veg if you like) in olive oil, add 250g risotto rice and stir until it starts to go clear, add 1 glass white wine and 650ml stock, add any dried herbs (I use oregano) and garlic (I use frozen garlic purée). Cook approx 15-20 until rice is cooked. You can add cooked meat and veg at the end of cooking if desired. Remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and other cheeses as desired (I like blue cheese personally)

ForTheLoveOfDoughnuts Tue 04-Jun-19 14:57:06

Thank you all. They all sound so tasty!

OP’s posts: |
woodcutbirds Tue 04-Jun-19 21:01:54

That BBC one looks lovely Rarfy.

Rarfy Tue 04-Jun-19 21:59:26

It was actually my first risotto to eat as well as make and unfortunately it was too creamy / cheesey for me but I'm not a fan or creamy / cheesey dishes anyway.

Apparently not quite as good as the local Italian but better than the Aldi special microwave one haha.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »