Talk

Advanced search

What to do with tough steak?!

(14 Posts)
NutButterNutter Sun 19-May-19 00:04:15

My DH had a BBQ this evening and got cheap shit steak and predictably it's as tough as boots.
Is there anything I can do to rescue it as it's a massive waste but is literally too tough to bite.
I thought about chopping and stewing for hours but any other ideas very welcome.

Blondie1984 Sun 19-May-19 02:10:01

Shred it and put it in tortilla wraps with salsa, sour cream and guacamole?
Or you could make a spicy, Mexican style tomato sauce with peppers and onions, mix in the shredded it, put it into tortilla wraps, cover with cheese and bake

Rissoles.....

BonAccordSpur Sun 19-May-19 02:26:56

Give it to the dog or chuck it in a slow cooker

Esspee Sun 19-May-19 02:28:24

Bash it thin with a meat hammer or the end of a wine bottle (empty it first). If you have any papain or meat tenderiser give it a good sprinkling. Slice the meat very thinly across the grain. If you have any wine left use it to make a marinade with garlic and onion and if you have any papaya (pawpaw) slice it thinly and mix with the meat. Leave in fridge overnight then stir fry.
Alternatively slice very thinly, fry off to brown it then leave cooking in slow cooker until it gets tender then add veg. to make stew or stroganoff or whatever.

Namaste6 Sun 19-May-19 02:48:02

Give it to the dogs - cut it small.

franklyshankly2 Sun 19-May-19 02:51:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Esspee Sun 19-May-19 10:29:54

@franklyshankly
.........and your problem with my genuine advice (I sometimes cook for a !iving) is what exactly?

NutButterNutter Sun 19-May-19 18:02:43

Thank you!!!
Great suggestions! I don't have a dog to make happy so will have to cook wink

NutButterNutter Sun 19-May-19 18:03:18

Oh, and for the record, I don't think you're being a prick, Esspee grin

Blondie1984 Mon 20-May-19 01:42:04

I didn't quite understand what @eespee had said wrong either....

Mollypolly2610 Sun 26-May-19 01:48:04

Found this out the other day. Put it in a bowl and put in some bicarbonate of soda and some water. Leave it for an hour it will be really tender when cooked. It worked for me.

Openupyourmind Sun 26-May-19 08:09:32

Chop it up in a food processor and use it to make cottage pie or spsg Bol.

Langrish Sun 26-May-19 08:10:59

Braise for a couple of hours then steak and kidney pud.

NutButterNutter Sun 26-May-19 23:41:03

Bicarb is sciencey genius!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »