Talk

Advanced search

Icing a Cake

(2 Posts)
EboWen Wed 08-May-19 14:21:38

I want to make a fruit cake for dil's baby shower as I'm going to be away and will have to deliver it a couple of weeks in advance, (hence it can't be a sponge cake) how far ahead can it be iced and decorated? I have only ever made and iced a fruit cake at Christmas, covering the cake with marzipan and icing it a couple of days apart and in the week running up to Christmas. I know I need to put marzipan on two days ahead of the icing to allow it to dry out. Also, Royal icing or fondant? Thanks 😉

OP’s posts: |
Birdie6 Wed 08-May-19 14:36:25

Actually it can be a sponge cake if you freeze it . Sponge freezes perfectly well, especially if they are iced all over ( including the sides). Fruit cakes freeze well too. Royal icing, fondant or even buttercream is fine. I've frozen many decorated cakes for birthdays etc. I put the decorated cake in a plastic cake box and then freeze the whole thing . Defrost the day before, in the fridge. I wouldn't try to preserve any cake outside the freezer, for two weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »