Talk

Advanced search

Red currants in my Riverford box- any ideas???

(11 Posts)
MilaMae Tue 17-Jul-07 22:36:04

Don't seem to have any recipes.

JackieNo Tue 17-Jul-07 22:39:31

Here are some recipes. I like the sound of redcurrant brulee and redcurrant cheesecake. Mmm...

StarryStarryNight Tue 17-Jul-07 22:43:59

Oh I love redcurrants! They are yummy with vanilla ice cream (just like strawberries)

You can also rinse them, sprinkle some sugar lightly over them as they are quite sour. Then, pour over some luxuriuos vanilla custard... Heaven! I grew up on desserts like these, my parents have an orchard full of redcurrants and blackcurrants.

You can also make jams and cordials.

Imagine hot cross buns or scones, with either cream/creme fraice/clotted cream and a dollop of fresh redcurrant jam.

IncredibleShrinkingMumbletonia Tue 17-Jul-07 23:23:40

Make a little shortcrust tart shell, fill with pastry cream, pile with red currants and drizzle with melted jam.

Heaven!

MilaMae Wed 18-Jul-07 15:35:04

Oh yum!!! Hope I get some more after reading all these.

Think it'll be redcurrants with ice cream tonight then as dp is going to be late.

Thanks!!!

DixiePixie Wed 18-Jul-07 16:34:53

Wow, wierd telepathy going on here - I've been given lots of home grown redcurrants and blackcurrants by my dm and I've just been googling like mad cos I'm not sure what to do with them. I've got an 11mo and I'm not sure if I ought to be sweetening them with sugar, Is there anything else that anyone would sweeten them with for a baby (or should I just get a grip and let her have a bit of sugar...?)

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Wed 18-Jul-07 16:40:48

Make a sauce to go with either duck or venison.

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 16:48:50

We have a glut each year.

They make fabulous jam mixed with raspberries.

They are scrumptious with meringues and whipped double cream.

There's a white and blackcurrant tart in Nigella's domestic goddess book that also works really well with redcurrants.

My dd2 eats them by the handful as they are, wincing with the tartness of them. Dd1 is a fussypants and won't go anywhere near!

NorksDrift Wed 18-Jul-07 17:01:15

No,it's got to be summer pudding!

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 17:27:17

Can't believe I forgot summer pudding - yes, the best pud in the world, especially with clotted cream, mmmmmm.

Peachy Wed 18-Jul-07 17:36:00

OOh I love redcurrnats, we have only black- may get a bush if we're in this house next summer.
Hope to be.

I'd make a jelly to eat with cold meats, yum. fantastic to put aside for Chrsitmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now