Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

home made ice cream makers thread

(19 Posts)
Peachy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:00:45

have beena sked to start a thread so here goes!
My best recipes are apple and cinnmon; cinnamon alone (to eat with puddings and crumbles- yummy), marmalde and coconut. Can dig out recipes if required.

Coconut is perhaps my most favoured though.

Anyone else?

Lilymaid Tue 17-Jul-07 12:05:42

I have a dead cheap vanilla with choc chip recipe that involves evaporated milk. Don't scoff - evap is much better than some of the ingredients in commercial ice creams and kulfi (yum pistachio for me) is made from home made evaporated milk.
How about a discussion of different ice cream makers? Mine is a Philips Delicia, where you have to freeze the container first. Great idea, but not so great if you have a tiny freezer like me full of frozen left overs.

DumbledoresGirl Tue 17-Jul-07 12:07:05

Aha good! An ice cream thread! Now what I want to know is, do you use an ice cream maker or do you do this by hand?

coddy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:08:01

i got the bena nd jerrys recipe book
i aghev a one you prefreezxe
never ever use it

coddy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:08:18

mum did a fab one of vnaill awiht salted pecan in it

cedar12 Tue 17-Jul-07 12:09:48

I was thinking of buying one of these how much do they cost? My dd has a milk intolerance could I used goats milk?

fruittea Tue 17-Jul-07 12:10:46

coffee is lovely - got an Alistair Little recipe

also simple chocolate ice cream made with really good choc.

fruittea Tue 17-Jul-07 12:12:02

i have the ben and jerry's book too, and it's good for ideas - like freezing rolos, chopping them up and using them in plain vanilla. they also have 3 basic recipes, and don't use a classic custard base, so as long as you're ok with uncooked eggs it's quicker - and I think one of the bases is egg free

fruittea Tue 17-Jul-07 12:12:56

mine's the kind you pre-freeze - they're about £40 I think. electric ones are about £250

indignatio Tue 17-Jul-07 12:26:30

I have one you don't have to prefreeze and I love it. Friends bring round mixture to put in it whilst they are having a glass of wine.

Easiest base I use is condensed milk, creme fraiche and single cream - whisk up together and add flavour.

cedar12 Tue 17-Jul-07 13:37:33

I think I will go for the £40 one £250. My dd is also allergic to eggs which havent been well cooked so can you do a base with out eggs?

potoroo Tue 17-Jul-07 14:23:02

Got a Kenwood one recently on Amazon for about £25 - its fab - you do need to pre-freeze the bowl though.

PestoMonster Tue 17-Jul-07 14:27:42

When we were on holiday earlier in the year, the chef at our hotel made us the yummiest nutmeg icecream ever.

fruittea Tue 17-Jul-07 14:39:46

Yes I'm pretty sure there's an egg-free one in the Ben & Jerry's book. WIll dig it out in a mo and check

cedar12 Tue 17-Jul-07 17:57:07

Thanks fruit tea

Peachy Tue 17-Jul-07 18:12:47

Mine's a pre-freeze, got it for my wedding and don't use ot much but hey over nearly eight years its had a few outings

fruittea Wed 18-Jul-07 08:15:23

OK cedar21, here they are, there are two.

The first is a "simple recipe with a minimum of ingredients and requires no cooking. It makes a very creamy ice crea, with 25% butterfat, but it does not store well in home freezers so be prepared to eat it all"

2 cups heavy or whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup "half and half" (light cream or milk)

Whisk sugar into milk until completely blended, the whisk in the milk.

The other version "makes a less creamy, less rich ice cream. Ben likes the slightly "cooked" flavor of the sweetened condensed milk"

2 cups light cream
1 cup sweetened condensed milk

Whisk together!

Hope these help. I've not tried either, but have found the book good, so I don't see why they shouldn't. Sure someone else will be along with other suggestions for egg-free options

fruittea Wed 18-Jul-07 08:15:59

sorry - got your name wrong - 12

cedar12 Wed 18-Jul-07 09:42:46

Thanks I will have to do some shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now