Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! Cakes for American teenagers

(16 Posts)
SSSandy2 Mon 16-Jul-07 15:12:17

I read somewhere that American cakes are usually a lot sweeter and I want to make something for a group of American teenagers running dd's summer camp. Wondering what they would like.

I was going to make a carrot cake with butter icing but don't know if they would like that.

Maybe a pavlova? - Meringue base with whipped cream and fruit on top. Would that be more like it, do you think?

suzywong Mon 16-Jul-07 15:14:36

make them some eccles cakes with lard and encourage them to feel the authenticity

I think, personally, that any homemade cake offering would be wolfed down with gratitude. Don't stress about it.

SSSandy2 Mon 16-Jul-07 15:19:59

we're in Germany here suzy. I did think of making something typically German but then I'm not that wild about German cakes myself. A lot of people make a sponge base with fruit on top and a kind of gelee-glaze on the top but I don't like those myself (I'm a bit weird maybe I'll admit). Those are the standard summer cakes I see here.

HedTwigg Mon 16-Jul-07 15:21:40

muffins .. do a search there's loads of recipes

suzywong Mon 16-Jul-07 15:22:31

ohhhhhhhh, why didn't you say so

well what about a sacher-torte? grown-up chocolate fudge cake with apricot glaze a nd chocolate icing. Yum

Do you know, I can actually remember a chapter in my German school textbook about Obstorten, the flan and gelee thing you are talking about.

I have a recipe or butterscotch cream pie which is so sweet it will take the enamel off yourteeth but it's my bedtime now so i can't post it. Maybe in the morning if you're still keen.

SSSandy2 Mon 16-Jul-07 15:24:54

Well, muffins are always good, it's true. No mess trying to cut them up,etc. Will think about that one a bit. My idea was that Americans often do great things decorating their cakes and I thought I could just about manage to stick some decorations on top of the butter icing so it says "Thank you" or "Danke" (shorter) something like that!

So you think they could handle an English style cake and not find it bland or whatever? Ok then think I'll make a pavlova AND a carrot cake. Pavlova is nothing if it isn't sweet!

or maybe one cake and a batch of muffins

SSSandy2 Mon 16-Jul-07 15:26:50

that butterscotch cream pie sounds like the goods suzy. I would bring it on the Friday for the last day of summer camp.

Don't think I could handle making the sacher torte. Could BUY one though and just pretend

MrsBadger Mon 16-Jul-07 15:48:45

tbh if it hasn't been made from a packet mix you will wow them - you'd be astonished to discover how many US cake recipes (even in books) start with 'Take one packet yellow cake mix...'

kiskidee Mon 16-Jul-07 15:51:57

why do you feel you ought to try to make 'authentic' american cakes for them. surely they go abroad to try things that are well, nearly, different.

make your carrot cake. if they want something erm different, try flapjacks with lots of raisins, nuts etc in it.

keep your life simple

SSSandy2 Mon 16-Jul-07 20:13:10

oh thanks
why? Well because I read somewhere American cakes/desserts are MUCH sweeter so I imagined them all taking a bite, exchanging glances and leaving huge chunks of it lying around. If I make something, I'd like them to find it tasty IYSWIM!

OK so carrot cake is ok then. THat's easy and I'll do that but only if it cools down. It's so damn hot at the moment I couldn't face switching the oven on. Hopefully by Thursday we've dropped back down 10 or 20 degrees.

kiskidee Tue 17-Jul-07 02:19:05

because americans like carrot cake. because teens are mature enough (usually) to appreciate differences if they could spot them in british vs american carrot cake which i don't think they will be able to do.
one tip: use real butter.

i used to work as a tour guide in Latin America with lots of American clients. We would always have McVitie's Digestives as a snack on board. At first they giggled at the name 'digestives' because to them it had a ring of 'cure for constipation' to them. But before the end of the first packet, they were fighting over them! So it is not all about sweetness to them.

CalifrauniusFudge Tue 17-Jul-07 02:36:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CalifrauniusFudge Tue 17-Jul-07 02:48:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alipigwidgeon Tue 17-Jul-07 03:58:29

Carrot cake is a huge favourite over here with the cream frosting on the top. They will also probably like Key Lime Pie. Let me know if you want a very easy recipe for that. Meringues are very popular here when I make them but you certainly don't see them in the shops. Chocolate Fudge Cakes, Fudge Brownies and Mississippi Mud pies are great favourites. So there's a few for you.

mamama Tue 17-Jul-07 04:32:57

Yes, homemade means 'out of a box'. People are astonished when they realise I made my cake from sugar, butter, eggs & flour. They just can't believe it

SSSandy2 Tue 17-Jul-07 14:55:54

yes please ali. I will definitely have a go at Key lime pie. Sounds delicious. Actually I love baking and I need some good new recipes anyway. (Hate cooking though I have to admit -hence no halo).

Don't know quite what Missisippi mud pies are though! Ok great so if carrot cake goes down well and so does meringue, I should be ok. Pavlova is just a giant meringue with whipped cream and fruit on top.

Thanks everyone for the tips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now