Talk

Advanced search

Asparagus glut

(12 Posts)
TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 23-Apr-19 17:01:12

Have more than I know what to do with and not much room in my stupidly small freezer.

Anyone have a lovely soup recipe or any other suggestions? Anyone ever pickled it?

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:16:55

Prawn & asparagus risotto
Quiche
Add to stir fry

BigMamaFratelli Tue 23-Apr-19 18:19:19

Drizzle with olive oil and season and roast in a oven.
Serve dressed with lemon juice and parmesan shavings.

MaFleur Tue 23-Apr-19 18:21:36

We adapted a jamie Oliver recipe last night. It was one of his 5 ingredient ones, and I couldn't remember what they were at the time, so busked it. It was declared delicious all round! Simply griddle a couple of handfuls of asparagus (two bundles rinsed and tossed in oil); then fry a couple of steaks. Just before they are done, tip in a bottle of black bean sauce, and a bit of sherry vinegar; simmer for a moment. We rested the steak for a bit, sliced it up, put the asparagus and steak in piles on the plates then tipped the sauce from the pan over. He did something with ginger and garlic, but honestly it was delicious as it was. My mouth is watering remembering it!

Ricekrispie22 Tue 23-Apr-19 18:49:30

Another Jamie recipe - frittata www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/asparagus-frittata/
And this is just delicious www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10599/flambed-chicken-with-asparagus

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 24-Apr-19 08:04:57

Some useful ideas here. Thanks everyone.

StealthPolarBear Wed 24-Apr-19 08:06:08

If you're in the North East I'll help grin ds and I love it but ds and DH hate it so we never really think to buy it

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 24-Apr-19 09:58:55

It’s super easy to grow Stealth. Basically stick it in a corner, forget about it for a couple of years until it is established, then remember to harvest regularly when it’s in season. To be honest we usually just get bored and waste loads but I’m trying to be more virtuous with food wastage.

AdaColeman Wed 24-Apr-19 10:07:50

Wrap in Parma type ham (the square shaped slices are best) and roast in the oven.

Use instead of toast soldiers to dip in soft boiled eggs.

Bake with chopped new potatoes, asparagus and eggs, Nigel has a nice recipe for this.

StealthPolarBear Wed 24-Apr-19 10:09:12

You've just brought back a memory that my parents used to grow it too. I used to be sent out in my wellies to stamp on it as we had far too much smile

Xiaoxiong Wed 24-Apr-19 14:14:49

Ahh can never have too much asparagus! My favourite - and this is useful because it freezes well - is the asparagus strudel from the Silver Palate cookbook. Last year I made two for a weekend lunch party, froze them and baked on the day and they were perfect with some salad and parma ham alongside.
www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/asparagus-strudel-50028971

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 24-Apr-19 17:22:04

Went for the easy win and made soup. Cream is DH’s slightly watery Lactofree stuff. Chives are from the garden. Was pretty good actually.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »