Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can I get my 2 year old to eat?

(6 Posts)
Bubbaloo Sun 15-Jul-07 19:05:29

He is so fussy with his food that it's driving me crazy.He used to eat pretty much anything when younger but now he won't eat hardly anything and I'm running out of ideas as to what to cook for him/try and make him eat something.

He won't eat:eggs,rice,couscous,sandwiches,vegetable sticks,fish(inc fish fingers),anything with breadcrumbs,sausages or even chips.

He will eat:yoghurts,cereal,fruit pots,cheese(sometimes),baked beans,tomatoes,ham and spag bol(sometimes).

Breakfast isn't usually a problem,but I'm finding it hard trying to find a lunch and tea that he'll eat and it's so frustrating after making him something and then without even trying it he'll say "finished" and give me the plate.I've tried offering something else and I've also tried leaving him in his highchair for upto an hour,hoping he'll eat,but he doesn't.

I know he's not going to starve and will obviously eat if he's really hungry,but wondered if anyone had any tips that might help,please.

McDreamyGonagall Sun 15-Jul-07 19:06:06

How much milk is he drinkning?

HedTwigg Sun 15-Jul-07 19:08:50

sit down with him and eat

when you have finished clear away his plate too if he's not eating, but he stays there with you chatting and watching you eat until you've finished

give him snacks at normal times

give him whatever you're having

just ignore its a phase
don't get wound up
don't cook specially

2 year olds eat approx 11 tbsps food a day .. that's all food including snacks, they have little stomachs .. it is NORMAL for a 2 year old to only eat 1 proper meal in a 48 hour period .. and THAT is averaged over about 10 days

he will not starve, don't allow fussiness by not responding to it.. food times are social times

it'll passs

Bubbaloo Sun 15-Jul-07 19:10:44

He has milk with his cereal in the morning,along with a cup of milk and that's about it.Occassionally he'll have Weetabix or porridge for tea,so he'll have milk in that too.

McDreamyGonagall Sun 15-Jul-07 19:12:59

I only asked DS went through a similar phase, we cut down slightly on his milk and I now have a child that doesn't stop eating - clearly not your problem though. Twigs advice is very sound. Def don't make a drama out of it, offer it to him and after 5 minutes take it away (unless he is eating it of course). No fuss, no drama

Bubbaloo Sun 15-Jul-07 19:15:02

Thanks Hedtwigg.He does normally eat a good breakfast and doesn't have many snacks through the day.Didn't know that about the 11tbsps-he probably eats nearly that amount just at breakfast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now