Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

made my first lemon drizzle cake!

(7 Posts)
Stargazing Sun 15-Jul-07 18:02:54

and it seems to have turned out quite nicely. Am hosting tea group tomorrow so will let you know what kind of reception it gets. Dh says that he prefers my banana cake.

dolally Sun 15-Jul-07 21:27:15

recipe please, star?

Drooling at the thought of it.

bristols Sun 15-Jul-07 21:28:26

I did one for the first time last week. Took it to a friend's for her birthday tea. Went down a storm! Very lovely, indeed. They'll love it.

Stargazing Sun 15-Jul-07 21:56:08

I think, I THINK that it was Marslady's recipe - not sure though. I definitely snaffled it from someone on MN

INGREDIENTS
9 oz sugar
9 oz butter
12 oz self-rising flour
4 eggs
3 t baking powder
6 Tbsp milk
grated rind from 2 lemons
juice from these lemons separately

METHOD

Preheat oven to 325 degrees/Gas Mark 3/170C/ Mix all the ingredients together in the mixer except for lemon juice. Bake in 9 X 11 (or 13) baking dish. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until knife comes out clean. While the cake is baking, squeeze the juice from the lemons and heat for 20 seconds or so in the microwave. Set at least one tablespoon aside to drizzle into the cake when it comes out of the oven. Take the balance of the warm lemon juice and add icing sugar (confectioners sugar) to consistency you like. As soon as you take the cake from the oven, prick cake with fork and pour over the reserved warm lemon juice. Next, spread the icing over the cake to finish it off.

lilolilmanchester Sun 15-Jul-07 21:59:14

also made my first lemon drizzle cake this weekend. Served with a warm fruit salad and barbados cream and went down a storm, Thanks MN and Marslady!

MrsMuddle Sun 15-Jul-07 22:36:44

What's Barbados cream? That sounds lovely.

lilolilmanchester Sun 15-Jul-07 22:44:48

Actually, something I've made for years and personally called "mess" cos that's what it looks like but stumbled across it as "barbados cream" in a Nigella book. Basically equal amounts of double cream and greek yoghurt whips together. I spread a thin layer in a dish, cover with any brown/dary sugar, another layer of yog/cream then sugar on top. The sugar caramelises in the fridge and is gorgeous. You can either serve as an accompiament to something else. Or put a bottom layer of e.g. raspberries and tehn complete dessert. however, would totally recommend lemon drizzle cake as a side dish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now