Talk

Advanced search

Homemade burgers for bbq ...help!

(14 Posts)
MrsMorse Sat 20-Apr-19 10:07:16

Just can’t make our homemade burgers stick together on the bbq..and it’s be a crime not to bbq this weekend. We just make patties from mince and onion then refrigerate for a few hours. Any tips on keeping the meat together? Have tried egg before but that just made them slimey

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
Xiaoxiong Sat 20-Apr-19 10:19:06

Are you using extra lean mince? I find it has to be about 20% fat to stick together. Also don't over mix it, that can "break" the protein binding - just mix the cold mince with seasoning until it comes together and no more.

SarahTancredi Sat 20-Apr-19 10:21:27

Egg and breadcrumbs (oats work too)

And the higher fat mince.

FreeButtonBee Sat 20-Apr-19 10:27:20

Egg does work. Maybe beat it in a separate bowl and add it bit by bit. It also helps to put them in th fridge uncovered so they cool down and get a bit of a ‘crust’ on them.

MrsMorse Sat 20-Apr-19 10:40:15

So helpful thank you all. Think we’ve over egged in the past, we use really lean mince so hadn’t thought about fat content! Thank you again!

OP’s posts: |
ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Sat 20-Apr-19 10:41:40

Yep - 20% fat mince, egg (but not too much), breadcrumbs, seasoning, done. I'm so hungry now, I KNEW I shouldn't have caught up on the 2 hour dinner thread and then clicked on one about burgers...

ChicCroissant Sat 20-Apr-19 10:44:23

Agree with all the other suggestions here, especially higher-fat mince being better for burgers, egg and breadcrumbs.

If you have a burger press that can help as well. I used to just squash them by hand but got one as part of a present and it does work well. If not, could just squash them a bit with a small plate on the top.

Enjoy the BBQ, OP!

3teens2cats Sat 20-Apr-19 10:49:18

Agree, egg and bread crumbs or crushed up cream crackers works too. I use 500g of 20% fat mince, one egg, one finely chopped onion, couple of slices of bread made into crumbs, a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper. You have to really get your hands in and squeeze the ingredients together into a mushy paste. Divide into balls, squash flat and cover lightly with flour to stop them sticking.

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Sat 20-Apr-19 11:52:07

Ooh! I just thought - I also try and fridge them a bit after I've made them. I just stick bits of greaseproof paper between them and wrap them in cling film, then fridge them so they firm up a bit. Not really a problem if you haven't got time though ☺️

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 20-Apr-19 11:58:26

Definitely need the fat content, if you have that then just seasoning and cook

PinkHeart5914 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:01:32

Lean mince is no good for this!

You need high fat mince and to refrigerate them for awhile before cooking

I use high fat mince, add an onion and seasoning nothing else and mine have never fallen apart.....

darceybussell Sat 20-Apr-19 12:02:13

Yes, eggs and crushed up cream crackers - we stick the crackers in a pestle and mortar and grind them to nearly dust

redpickle Sat 20-Apr-19 16:11:40

I don't use the white, just the yolk with breadcrumbs, tsp mustard and refrigerate- also top tip is a tablespoon of gravy granules (dry) seems to bind them and gives a nice beefy flavour.

FreeButtonBee Sat 20-Apr-19 20:28:45

I like a splodge if tomato ketchup in as wel

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »