Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Farmers' Market - What do you usually buy at yours?

(29 Posts)
CalifrauniusFudge Sun 15-Jul-07 03:44:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alipigwidgeon Sun 15-Jul-07 04:07:34

If I go (it's always heaving), veggies and herbs.

colinandcaitlinsmommy Sun 15-Jul-07 04:10:00

Ours does lovely tuna steaks for $6 a pound that were caught the day before. DH buys goat's milk soap. They have really good different kinds of sheep's milk cheese. Cilantro, walla walla sweet onions, carrots. They have a stall that benefits the library that sells children's books in really good condition for 25 cents each, and we usually get the kids a book or 2 each. And we have a routine of going to the baked goods stall and sharing some kind of goodie between us. We are so regular at our farmer's market, vendors ask where the kids were if we miss a week. Oh yeah, and I got some lovely blueberry plants that did pretty good making blueberries this year even though they were so small.

I'd buy more stuff like all different kinds of berries, apples, grapes, lemons, limes and tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers, but we have a farm down the road that we get that stuff at that is open 7 days a week. Or we grow it in our garden. I'd get eggs there, because they have some lovely ones, but $5 a dozen is a bit steep. They sell lamb at ours, but I don't like it.

DH was reading over my shoulder and told you to buy the soap if yours has it. He loves it.

incanada Sun 15-Jul-07 04:19:41

ours is huge & is indoors so they are open all year tound. i can buy almost everything there - all my meat, fish, cheese, flowers, eggs, fruit & veg, spices, bread, even sacks of flour & rice etc. - only have to buy milk & canned goods elsewhere.

CalifrauniusFudge Sun 15-Jul-07 16:49:08

BettySpaghetti Sun 15-Jul-07 16:52:27

We tend to buy veg, fruit , eggs and occasionally DH buys meat (I'm veggie).

We have also been tempted once or twice to buy goodies like handmade chocolates and yummy cakes.

MarsLady Sun 15-Jul-07 16:58:08

Sunday lunch

Some meat for the following week

My veggies for the following week

Apple juice (esp Perfection... yum!!!!!!!!!)

Mushrooms if my mushroom girl is there

And anything else that takes my fancy except the baked goods as I can throw together a bogstandard ldc myself!

edam Sun 15-Jul-07 16:59:45

Nice cheese and bread. Dh buys meat - has even tried ostrich and kangaroo. Some veg. Treats - cake or biscuits or savouries. Apple juice or lemonade, sometimes.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Sun 15-Jul-07 17:01:59

There is a woman selling some great bread loafs in ours. Yummy!

Other than that, and a farmer who sells some very expensive organic chicken, all the rest of things seems to be sourced by the farmers rather than produced by them.

CalifrauniusFudge Sun 15-Jul-07 17:02:53

McDreamy Sun 15-Jul-07 17:07:52

I used to go to a lovely one in Easingwold on a Friday where I would buy bread, marinated olives, ham, a selection of cheese, fresh fish, meat and veg. It was fab. No such thing in Cyprus

iota Sun 15-Jul-07 17:14:10

we went to the local monthly one this morning - we bought bread, sausages and some veg - sometimes we buy meat, herbs, cheese, mushrooms anything else we need.
TBH I forgot it was this week and had stocked up with stuff at the supermarket

Mercy Sun 15-Jul-07 17:16:47

Very little - most of the food is far to expensive for us tbh

Mercy Sun 15-Jul-07 17:17:22

too expensive

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 15-Jul-07 17:18:22

Is a farmers market different to a normal market? If so where would I find my nearest farmers market and is it worth it over and above a normal market/butchers/farm shop?

CalifrauniusFudge Sun 15-Jul-07 17:26:23

Mercy Sun 15-Jul-07 17:43:21

SMS - have a look at this re Farmers Markets.

I assume there will be other, smaller markets which aren't registered with that particular group. Perhaps google your local area?

MrsMarvel Sun 15-Jul-07 17:43:40

Not much,I save up once a year for Xmas dinner and normally just buy something interesting from a hot food stall. But I get a good few tastings of exotic cheeses and the like .

TnOgu Sun 15-Jul-07 17:44:19

Veg

fruit

Cheese

Bread

Fish

peanutbear Sun 15-Jul-07 17:45:02

all my meat and fruit and veg yum

peanutbear Sun 15-Jul-07 17:45:25

oh and duck eggs

TnOgu Sun 15-Jul-07 17:45:53

there is also a jewellery stall, so sometimes buy a bracelet or ear-rings

CalifrauniusFudge Sun 15-Jul-07 19:15:27

MuffinMclay Mon 16-Jul-07 12:22:07

Steak (much more flavour than supermarket stuff, and cheaper)

Game birds in season

Local flour

Eggs

Delicious cakes and bread

Sausages

Veg

Sixofone Mon 16-Jul-07 16:38:20

I don't mind paying a bit extra for better quality food, but often find that our local FM is extremely expensive, and I wonder if it truly does cost that much to produce good quality food (and we are hoodwinked into thinking supermarket prices are the 'right' prices so anything else seems more expensive), or if the farmers are just taking advantage of people's desire to buy better food?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now