Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having BBQ in 2 weeks and want to prepare in advance...what could I make now and freeze?

(11 Posts)
Mung Fri 13-Jul-07 14:01:25

Any suggestions of what I could make now and keep in the freezer. Its a simple affair, so I just need some simple things to go with the barbied meat and also some desserts. I was thinking of making some of the muffins from this thread and freezing them.

jabberwocky Fri 13-Jul-07 14:17:38

Do baked beans freeze well? I always do those when we are having a BBQ and they do take forever to make. Might be nice to get it done in advance.

Sorry, that's probably not a very helpful post!

MrsMcJnr Fri 13-Jul-07 14:49:16

How about garlic bread - home made garlic butter and maybe some cheese in French baguettes?

Mung Fri 13-Jul-07 21:53:12

Perhaps I ought ot add that its for about 50 people, so I want simple food for lots of people...thats why I am stressing a little

moondog Fri 13-Jul-07 21:54:16

I would marinate some ribs and freeze them.

Also kebabs and home made hamburgers perhaps?

blueshoes Fri 13-Jul-07 22:47:53

Chop up some peppers (different colours) and courgettes - arrange on skewers. Parboil corn-on-the-cob.

MadEyemarthamooDy Fri 13-Jul-07 22:53:56

Umbrellas, marquee, waterproof ponchos, plenty of towels, wellies...oh, sorry, you wanted food suggestions

Mung Sat 14-Jul-07 09:49:26

The waterproofs are all ready and everyone has their wellies on standby, but I am ever hopeful! Thanks for the suggestions so far...all food for thought.

BecauseImTheFatLady Sun 15-Jul-07 08:22:27

Marinated chicken:

Cut fresh chicken breasts long ways into 3 or 4 (depending on the size of the breast) thick slices (this means that you can either barbecue them on or off a skewer - they should be thick enough so that they will sit on the rack without falling through)

Put the slices into a deep dish, and add:

chopped garlic
chopped ginger
black pepper
Chinese 5 spice powder (not too much because it's quite strong)
curry powder
juice of a lemon
soy sauce

quantities will obviously depend on how much chicken - you're aiming to end up with enough moisture to 'glaze' the meat rather than have it swimming in liquid.

Leave to marinade for around half an hour, then freeze.

On the day, make sure they are fully defrosted before you cook them. They should take about 10 mins on the barbecue.

BecauseImTheFatLady Sun 15-Jul-07 08:23:31

Sorry - didn't read your OP properly - you already have meat sorted out!

Mung Sun 15-Jul-07 15:35:11

Thanks though...I might do that (or get DH to do it...I can't stand touching raw chicken)anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now