Talk

Advanced search

Got first Abel & Cole veg box...raw betroot?

(21 Posts)
lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 12:30:03

what can i do with it? can i peel it and eat it raw? cook it ? only ever had pickled stuff out of a jar...

fingerwoman Fri 13-Jul-07 12:34:18

wash it, rub a little olive oil on, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for an hour or so.
when you take it out the skin should easily peel off.
yummy.
or, you can peel and chop it and roast it with some other veg

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 12:39:31

that sounds good..thanks...

can i eat it raw, or must it be cooked?

am a beetroot novice..

vonsudenfed Fri 13-Jul-07 12:41:37

I think you can grate it raw into a salad, but the thought of the resulting carnage is so off-putting that I've never tried it! And I think it would be pretty hard to peel too - so I even roast them first if they're going into soup. (Hugh FW has a good beetroot and feta soup recipe, incidentally).

MadEyemarthamooDy Fri 13-Jul-07 12:41:55

iT'S NICE WITH A ROAST DINNER. Ooops, sorry, put caps lock on. Delia has a good recipe - did it one year for Christmas dinner.

You do get grated beetroot in salads but I'm not sure if it's raw or not. I think it is.

brimfull Fri 13-Jul-07 12:42:29

roasted beetroot is lovely

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 12:43:28

so , roast betroot it is ! ta !

LaCerbiatta Fri 13-Jul-07 12:46:33

I love raw beetroot. it's great in salads. Not hard to peel at all! I usually eat it in soup but definitely don't roast it first!

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 12:48:05

oh, so you could eat it like an apple?

burek Fri 13-Jul-07 12:54:55

hi lulumama
raw beetroot salad is lovely with tomato carrot and balsamic. Grate it and if you have the leaves, chop them up and chuck them in too.
VERY healthy so justifies consumption of pudding afterwards

yogimum Fri 13-Jul-07 13:00:23

great in a juice with carrot, celery, apple, ginger

rnbsmum Fri 13-Jul-07 13:01:43

Also good if roasted then put in a curry, maybe with aubergine, lentils or root veg curry in Autumn.

Scootergrrrl Fri 13-Jul-07 13:02:27

If you have a food proceso with grating attachment, grate it then cook slowly in butter and lemon juice. Not advisable without the processor as is indeed carnage! You can eat it raw if you want though

aDad Fri 13-Jul-07 13:03:56

Good tip for peeling - do it under a running tap to lessen staining.

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 14:15:04

do have a food processor, but am tempted by roasting it whole

thanks for the advice !

TooTicky Fri 13-Jul-07 14:18:35

Ooh yes, grated raw in salads. Goes well with orange.

Stargazing Fri 13-Jul-07 20:17:25

do you want my gorgeous recipe for beetroot, lentil & goats cheese salad? soooo lush!!!

specialmagiclady Fri 13-Jul-07 20:19:39

I grate beetroot and carrot together with vinaigrette. Yum!

You could do a lot worse than by Vegetables by Sophie Grigson. Great ideas for the random Pak Choi/Kohlrabi/beetroot in your A&C box!

octo Fri 13-Jul-07 20:20:48

I grew beetroot this year - we had it on saturday night with a Jamie Oliver recipe with Beef - lush [yummy emoticon]

PinkPotterWeasleys Fri 13-Jul-07 22:29:12

I asked the same the other night, more ideas here and I might take some ideas from this thread too !

christywhisty Fri 13-Jul-07 22:41:35

I bought a shropshire organics box from tesco which had a lots of beetroot. Ended up making soup with the beetrood, potato, spring onion and stock. Very tasty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now