225g dried chickpeas soaked overnight
1 red onion roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 slice bread roughly cubed
handful each of fresh parsley and coriander, tough stalks removed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
oil for frying

1. Rinse and drain chickpeas. Put in blender/food proc with onion, garlic, bread herbs and cumin. blend to smooth paste and season
2. Divide evenly to size required and mould between palms to form smooth discs
3. Shallow fry in large frying pan (4-5 falafel at a time) allowing them to brown evenly before turning over.

They can be transferred, once browned, to baking tray in oven at 180 deg for 10-15 mins if making lots.

ammy1 Thu 12-Jul-07 20:31:58

thanks so much!! brilliant. have you ever made them? have you ever heard of putting broad beans in them too? will have a go tomorrow. must go and get chick peas in soak

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Thu 12-Jul-07 20:34:49

I wouldn't put broad beans in - just chickpeas - that's the authentic way of doing them (DH is Arabic), you can also sprinkle sesame seeds on the top for the mega authentic way. Also, to help them cook in the middle if frying, gently make a small indentation with first finger in the middle of each - tip I picked up from my MIL

HTH

ammy1 Fri 13-Jul-07 17:52:48

thanks for the extra tips really useful

Carmione Fri 13-Jul-07 17:54:40

A word of warning, you must use the dried chickpeas as if you try to short cut it with the tinned ones they fall to bits when you are trying to cook them.

Durdle Fri 13-Jul-07 17:57:04

I don't have a recipe but I just wanted to say how much I bloody love falafel. In pitta bread with humous and salad.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *wiping dribble from chin*

ammy1 Fri 13-Jul-07 18:08:19

i love them too i could eat them every day. thanks for hint about tins because i had thought of that being a short cut last time. it does say broad beans on the mixtures of some packets though

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 13-Jul-07 21:34:31

Durdle....here is a sauce that MIL puts in the pitta with falafel...its divine but you will reek after!!

A bowl of Greek Yoghurt
1 crushed clove of garlic
2 tablespoons of tahini
Juice of one lemon
1 chopped tomato
Chopped parsley

Add the garlic, tahini and lemon juice to the greek yoghurt. Mix thoroughly. Add the tomato and add salt to taste - keep tasting as you go along so you can see if you want more tahini, lemon juice etc. When finished, sprinkle in the parsley and mix.

Open up your pitta and squash the falfel down inside....pour the sauce over, add some chopped pickled turnip (its pink and you can get it from Mid East stores - sounds strange but it soooo works!)....its lush!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now