Talk

Advanced search

What makes your lasagne special?

(112 Posts)
flugelhorn81 Sun 31-Mar-19 13:07:29

I make lasagne quite often, and am trying to perfect it. I've played around with adding pancetta, porcini and roasted aubergine or peppers. Does anyone make an amazing lasagne and what makes yours special?

OP’s posts: |
BlueJava Sun 31-Mar-19 13:12:11

I'm on this mission too! I put in chopped onions and celery, brown the meat then add in smoked paprika/tumeric/paprika + knorr veg stock pot and a can of tomatoes or passata + tomato paste. Then I let it simmer to reduce to a nice sauce. I cheat on the cheese sauce and use bought (as I make it almost every week!). Last weeks was amazing even if I say so myself!

FartersDay Sun 31-Mar-19 13:13:16

Deepfried breaded aubergine and shit tons of cheese and ricotta.

notangelinajolie Sun 31-Mar-19 13:15:23

It the hours and hours I cook the sauce.

RainbowAura Sun 31-Mar-19 13:18:26

Lorraine Pascal's Dad's lasagne recipe. It's the holy grail of lasagnes.

flugelhorn81 Sun 31-Mar-19 13:30:03

Thanks, some great tips here! I forgot about celery, that definitely makes a difference. And cooking for ages helps. I made a really good one with half beef half pork mince once. It looks like Lorraine Pascale's includes sausages so I might give that a go next time!

I don't usually put cheese in my sauce, but I do sprinkle Parmesan on each layer and then mozzarella on top.

Do you put a layer of pasta on the bottom? And do you later bechamel on each layer or just the top?

So many variations!

I agree that cooking for ages is key.

PCohle Sun 31-Mar-19 14:45:40

I agree with using half pork and half beef mince and cooking the sauce for ages.

I definitely use cheese in my white sauce - cheddar or something else strong rather than mozzarella, and then Parmesan on the top.

I also think using thinner layers of sauce than you expect helps stop it getting soupy.

Nanasueathome Sun 31-Mar-19 14:59:38

I put blobs if Philadelphia on the top before cooking
It melts in lovely and everyone enjoys it

Happyspud Sun 31-Mar-19 15:00:50

Red wine and bacon. And long slow cooking in the Aga.

JuniperBeer Sun 31-Mar-19 15:03:38

The leaving it in the fridge over night and eating the next day 😬

Quertymcquerty Sun 31-Mar-19 15:05:10

Red wine, mushrooms, celery etc and leave to cook for hours.

elQuintoConyo Sun 31-Mar-19 15:05:39

A layer of fresh basil leaves on top of every meat layer.

flugelhorn81 Sun 31-Mar-19 15:32:54

That's a good tip about thinner layers, as mine sometimes ends up a bit sloppy.

The basil leaves on each layer sounds interesting too!

I actually tried tiny pieces of chopped up butternut squash once, cooked with the onions, and it was really tasty. Added a bit of sweetness.

MamaDane Sun 31-Mar-19 15:40:18

I use pork mince only, my DP was never a fan of beef mince, so this is how I invented my famous lasagna grin

My BIL claims it's one of the most memorable meals he's had. In a good way of course grin

thecapitalsunited Sun 31-Mar-19 15:47:56

Yes to thin layers. And lots of them. It’s a baked pasta dish so there should be lots of pasta in it. I also cook my meat sauce for a long time but don’t do anything outlandish. Onion, carrot, celery plus a little garlic sweated off, fried beef mince and tinned plum tomatoes but not too much, I like a thick sauce which just about coats the meat not something which is 75% tomato. No cheese in my bechemal but parmesan sprinkled on each layer and a good helping of parmesan on top. Sauce on the bottom. Rest for at least half hour after cooking for it to firm up.

LindaLa Sun 31-Mar-19 15:49:07

My secret is poppy seeds and klowunji seeds (black onion or nigella seeds) they add a real savoury flavour.
A desert spoon of each.

CCquavers Sun 31-Mar-19 15:49:55

Pesto on a couple of the layers and proper mature cheddar on the top

MamaDane Sun 31-Mar-19 15:56:47

I disagree with the many layers, I only have three layers and (to me) it's the perfect ratio.

HampshireMum1 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:01:37

As well as the usual, I add layers of smoked ham and (don't hate me!) layers of squares of dairy lea 😂😂 it's honestly gorgeous and my Italian uncle suggested it as that's how he makes it, and I've never looked back.

HampshireMum1 Sun 31-Mar-19 16:02:16

Oh yeah and always half pork half beef

HappyPunky Sun 31-Mar-19 16:03:32

I spread pesto on the lasagne sheets facing down

Pandasarecute Sun 31-Mar-19 16:04:22

I'm intrigued by the pesto! Red or green? I love pesto!

HappyPunky Sun 31-Mar-19 16:04:36

I also use mascapone in the white sauce on top

HappyPunky Sun 31-Mar-19 16:06:11

Green pesto and make the lasagne early and leave it all to soak in.
Love lasagne and haven't made it for ages.

FrenchyQ Sun 31-Mar-19 16:09:26

Lidl do a pork and beef mince pack (750g for £2.89).
Celery, carrot and onion base. Tinned plum tomatoes and leave to cook for aslong as you can.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »