Talk

Advanced search

OK genuinely feel silly asking, but should nectarines be kept in fridge?

(11 Posts)
handlemecarefully Wed 11-Jul-07 13:51:10

Yes it's outlandish that I don't know, but have only eaten peaches and nectarines once or twice as a child - when I concluded I didn't like them.

So decided to buy them from supermarket today to give them another try (only 20 or so years later - see there is hope for mothers of food refusing children- their tastebuds may change later

So fridge or cupboard?

donnie Wed 11-Jul-07 13:52:07

cupboard definitely.

TutterJane Wed 11-Jul-07 13:52:50

i keep all fruit in the fridge in the summer to prolong its life

but then i also tend to buy ready ripe stuff

not sure other fruit would ever ripen there

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 11-Jul-07 13:53:31

I fridge mine if I dont think I will eat them within a day or two. They keep for eons in the fridge.

But, when I do want to eat one, I take it out of the fridge an hour at least, beforehand.

PrettyCandles Wed 11-Jul-07 13:54:03

Not if yoiu want them to ripen. Besides, they taste better at room temp or slightly cooler.

I generally keep 4 or so in the fruit bowl to ripen, the rest in the fridge, bringing them out as the others are eaten. hOtherwise they all ripen at once and are wasted as not all get eaten at once.

foxinsocks Wed 11-Jul-07 13:54:24

I put them in the fruit bowl.

Then your children can munch on them as they wander past.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 11-Jul-07 13:55:00

Supposed to be fridge, but mine never seem to actually ripen, so I take them out, and they go off within minutes .

I vote for half in the fridge, half in the cupboard. Can't go wrong then .

handlemecarefully Wed 11-Jul-07 14:02:42

Thanks - I am going for the fridge option since they came as a pre-packed 4 pack, and will take one out an hour or two prior to eating.

throckenholt Wed 11-Jul-07 14:04:23

most of the ones sold in supermarkets are rock hard - ripen them up for a few days on teh windowsill - then when they give a bit they are ripe - either eat or stick in the fridge then.

throckenholt Wed 11-Jul-07 14:06:06

if you azre like me - if you put them in the cupboard you will find them a week later in a rotting heap .....

BirdyArms Wed 11-Jul-07 14:18:33

I keep in fruit bowl but read at the weekend that Nigel Slater thinks that peaches and nectarines are better eaten straight from the fridge, apricots better at room temp.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: