Talk

Advanced search

Needed - pizza dough recipes!

(3 Posts)
Halloumimuffin Mon 25-Mar-19 08:25:11

Hi everyone,

I've tried multiple times to make good pizza dough. It always seems to come out too flat and unrisen, with a chewy, undercooked and overly floury quality.

I've used a couple of recipes so I presume this is just me, but surely it can't be that hard? I can make homemade bread no problem, but perfect pizza eludes me! Anyone got an amazing recipe?

OP’s posts: |
Nnnnnineteen Mon 25-Mar-19 11:23:38

Nigella has a nice one in the domestic goddess book. It is a thick base but tastes good and doesn't end up soggy. It's called pizza casareccia I think (spelling may be wrong. )

Ricekrispie22 Mon 25-Mar-19 16:41:30

Your thread title should have said ‘Kneaded’ not ‘needed’!!

Basically, the less yeast you use and the longer you leave it to prove, the better. If you’ve got time, make it in the morning or even the evening before www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/bread/overnight-pizza-dough
This one doesn’t require as much time www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a500145/basic-pizza-dough/ but I’d still make leave it longer than it says. If you leave it for longer, leave it somewhere cooler.
Both recipes I’ve given ask for one 7g sachet of yeast, but you’ll get better results if you only use 5g and leave it longer. Don’t add instant dry yeast directly to cold or cool water.
Flour is the main ingredient in pizza dough, and the type you use can have a big effect on the end result. Plain flour will work fine, but if you want a chewier crumb and a better hole structure, you should consider buying yourself some high protein bread flour.
Cold fermenting your dough—that is, storing it in the refrigerator after forming it—can help improve both its flavor and its browning characteristics as the yeast slowly gets to work digesting carbohydrates.
Use a pizza stone if you have one. The stone with draw moisture out of the dough and give crisp crust.
If you’re after something a little different try this carrot pizza dough. My kids love it veggiedesserts.co.uk/carrot-pizza-carrot-pizza-sauce/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »