Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help please for tea tonight, I have some lamb mince...

(18 Posts)
clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:42:44

and I'm sick of shepherd's pie. Does anyone know of a sicy lamb thing I can do - I've got some filo pastry that needs eating too.

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:43:18

sorry that was supposed to be spicy...

TheMuppet Tue 10-Jul-07 15:44:41

as you've got filo pastry why don't you make mince pockets and have roast spuds n veg!
Always goes down well in my house

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:46:31

should have said have filo pastry but not sure how to use it - how do i make mince pockets they sound nice?

ELR Tue 10-Jul-07 15:49:24

just put your lamb in a bowl add a tspoon cumin a tspoon of paprika a tspoon caianne pepper a tspoon garam masala some salt and pepper some bread crumbs and an egg some lemon juice and if you have any fresh herbs bung em in mix all together with hands, roll into sausage shapes and grill serve with pitta and rice or cous cous

TheMuppet Tue 10-Jul-07 15:49:38

Cut the filo pastry into small circles(but big enough for some mince) and to close up.

i normally put gravy on the bottom then add the mince and bring all sides together and close together.

and chuck in the oven till nice n golden brown (yummy)

depending on how much filo pastry you have you can get quite a few.
My DD loves em, they are ideal for her.

ELR Tue 10-Jul-07 15:53:17

you could fry lamb with all spices i mentioned then put it in filo pastry just get a sheet brush with melted butter put another sheet on top in opposite direction place some lamb in middle gather up pastry so it looks like a little sack then bake in oven

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:56:28

mmm thanks they sound lovely, how hot and how long for in the oven?

Mercy Tue 10-Jul-07 15:56:55

Or you could do keema mattar - basically mince lamb curry and peas.

TheMuppet Tue 10-Jul-07 15:58:25

i normally cook mince in saucepan before,
and once cooked put into pockets, and into oven for about 20-30mins. till golden brown

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:58:28

ooh mercy that sounds good too, what do i put in the curry sauce?

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 15:59:01

xposted, thanks muppet

TheMuppet Tue 10-Jul-07 16:06:40

No Probs

Mercy Tue 10-Jul-07 16:20:01

Have a look at Nigella's recipe keema

I would ony use a pinch of salt tbh and less water. You can use chilli powder instead of fresh chilli and lemon instead of lime.

clutteredup Tue 10-Jul-07 16:37:16

thanks mercy that sounds lovely, might be out of tinned toms but will definitely try it another time, anything but shepherd's pie!!

TheMuppet Tue 10-Jul-07 20:51:49

So what did you do with your mince chick?

popsycal Tue 10-Jul-07 20:52:50

what did you do?
i would recommned lamb pattie things in pitta bread - posted recipe here the other day

clutteredup Wed 11-Jul-07 21:08:41

Hi sorry I ate very late last night as DH was in london, I went with the grilled sausage things with rice, thanks ELR very nice. By the time DH got home I was too hungry to fiddle with the filo pastry I lost my nerve , i thoguht I might burn them, but I will have a go as i love filo pastry parcels , I've just never done them myself. Thanks for all the recipies, i shall never have to eat shepherd's pie again. DC and DH love it but I'm so bored of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now