Talk

Advanced search

Food colouring

(11 Posts)
JustBeenNosey Tue 19-Mar-19 10:51:09

I'm in need of a good recommendation for a good food colouring gel.

I tend to use the Dr Oetker ones from the supermarket but I was wondering if anyone had used any different ones that gave a better colour.

I'm also needing a grey colour as well if anyone knows where I could get one!

TIA!

OP’s posts: |
JustBeenNosey Tue 19-Mar-19 11:21:50

I've looked online and come across the 'Sugarflair', Wilton paste' and 'Rainbow Dust' ones..

Has anyone used any of these?

WoogleCone Tue 19-Mar-19 11:23:08

Wilton gels give great colour, you only need to add a little bit at a time as they get very intense!

Cosmos45 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:25:06

I use sugarflair paste. Beware though, you need a teeny tiny amount to colour anything. Literally, a speck, and best to put in a tiny amount and build it up as you can't take it away. The colours are amazing. Some shops sell them but I would probably order online now. Much better than the bottles you find in the supermarket and realistic colours (Dusky pink, Claret, holly etc).

JustBeenNosey Tue 19-Mar-19 11:34:46

@WoogleCone @Cosmos45 I thought that these colours would be a lot better than the Dr Oetker ones.

What form do they come in? Is it a paste, like a thick gel sort of thing?

I'm wanting to bake a cake for my friends Hen Do rather than paying someone £45 for one.
The colour themes for the wedding is dusky pink and grey/silver so I was thinking of doing different shades of pink layers of cake.. and then make a grey buttercream around the edge and buy some silver foil transfers to go around the edge as well.

Something abit like this (if you can see the picture) but without the chocolate drips, flowers and macaroons.
I had a nightmare with a chocolate drip cake last week and it's really put me off trying again now😂🙈

Cosmos45 Tue 19-Mar-19 12:00:03

Yes the sugarflair ones come in a little pot and is a thick paste, you need to get a toothpick or edge of a sharp knife and take the teeniest amount possible and then mix and review colour. I think if you are using it in cake batter you can add a lot more but icing, please be careful. I have on many occasions added too much and then had an intense hit of colour. The sugar flair has a Dusky Pink (I use this one all the time) and I think I have used a grey before (for an elephant).

WoogleCone Tue 19-Mar-19 12:16:03

The Wilton gels are just a super thick gel that come in a little screw top pot. I made this for my daughter's birthday last year so you can see just how bright they can come out!!

JustBeenNosey Tue 19-Mar-19 12:31:33

@Cosmos45 perfect, thank you! I'll have a look at these colours!

@WoogleCone oh that looks amazing!

JustBeenNosey Wed 20-Mar-19 14:14:55

@Cosmos45 which grey did you use? Was it shadow grey? I'm ordering them online now but I can only find 'shadow grey' and it looks abit dark

Cosmos45 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:00:03

Sorry! i really can't remember. Hope you ordered them ok.

JustBeenNosey Thu 21-Mar-19 10:23:08

@Cosmos45 no worries. I went on a different website and ordered it in 'granite' it looks abit lighter than the shadow grey.

I ordered some silver foil as well so going to try all these out in a few week 😬😬

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »