Talk

Advanced search

Daft question about homemade stock?

(10 Posts)
Chocolateheaven123 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:46:20

I've made homemade chicken once before and it was delicious, so I'd like to try more often. Daft question though, if for example, we have potato or carrots for tea one night, can I keep the peelings to put in with the stock?

OP’s posts: |
Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 17-Mar-19 08:47:04

I dont see why not.
i normaly put a carrot, bit of celery and boil it down.

BiscuitDrama Sun 17-Mar-19 08:48:02

Yep definitely. Carrot and also celery in particular really lift the flavour. I add all sorts!

Meet0nTheledge Sun 17-Mar-19 08:49:34

Yes, I use carrots and celery, peel, ends, leftovers, whatever, plus a couple of black peppercorns and a bayleaf.

Zooop Sun 17-Mar-19 08:59:36

Cauliflower works well, too. But not parsnips or swede, that comes out too sweet. And a drop of vinegar (apparently it leaches the goodness from the bones - I have no idea if that is true but it definitely does add flavour).

Chocolateheaven123 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:18:32

Thanks smile

Hoping to make a batch next week. Will definitely try the vinegar tip smile

OP’s posts: |
TroysMammy Sun 17-Mar-19 10:20:39

Brown onion skins apparently give it a lovely colour. Don't forget to strain it into a bowl wink

OnceUponAThread Sun 17-Mar-19 10:56:43

You can and should add veggie peelings. If I have nice veg earlier in the week but won't be making stock till the weekend I always bung the peelings in the freezer until I need them

UnaOfStormhold Sun 17-Mar-19 11:50:39

Yes, indeed I often stick peelings into the freezer to build up plenty to add to stock. I'd recommend avoiding brassicas as they can add a bit of a sulphurous whiff but most veg trimmings are fine.

RamblinRosie Wed 20-Mar-19 03:20:17

I’d avoid potato peelings, they’ll cloud the stock, carrot peelings will be fine. Don’t boil, just simmer very gently.

I freeze all chicken/duck/turkey bones, then make a large batch with onions, celery, leek, herbs, bay and peppercorns. I freeze it in old yogurt pots.

I strain my stock, then re-simmer the bones and veggies to get a second batch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »