Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A birthday cake to go travelling with.. to please all especially a 2 yr old

(11 Posts)
moodlumthehoodlum Mon 09-Jul-07 19:43:40

Hello expert cake makers/village show participants..

DS is two on thursday, and I need a cake recipe that pleases all, impresses everyone, passes the two year old consumer test and, most importantly, will survive being made on Tuesday for birthday on Thursday and a three hour car journey?

You've obviously got your VSC, but I think that two days is stretching its shelf life, even un-iced. Lemon drizzle doesn't really pass the 2 year old's test and so I'm stuck?

Maybe a chocolate loaf cake or something?

Advice from the more culinary inclined than me very welcome!!

Califrau Mon 09-Jul-07 19:47:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BBBeeRose Mon 09-Jul-07 19:47:33

pile of cupcakes with candles in each one.

PandaG Mon 09-Jul-07 19:51:32

I'd do an ordinary choc sponge, and take the icing with me in a pot to do once I'd got there. You could always freeze the cake on the Tuesday, and let it defrost while travelling?

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 09-Jul-07 19:54:24

Thanks ladies - cupcakes is a good idea. I think they would travel well and I could always ice them the night before.

Thanks califrau - heat not a problem over here! Are you in california (or is that a silly question?) - we had dd's birthday out there in April and had an amazing (if a bit too squeamishly colourful for everyone) ice cream cake for her, but I'm not going to replicate that...

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 09-Jul-07 19:56:04

FREEZING - a brilliant idea. Brilliant. I knew if I knocked on the MN Domestic Goddesses' doors I'd get the help I needed!!

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 19:56:11

I did this as we went camping on the Fri and it was dd's birthday on the Sun.

I did a chocolate sponge from the 2nd Jamie Oliver book, baked it on Thur and wrapped it in foil.
You are supposed to fill it with strawberries and raspberries in whipped cream, so I bought a pack of frozen rasps and a tube of aerosol cream on Sat and put them in a cold bag together overnight.

By Sunday the rasps had melted but were still cold, as was the cream, so I squirted a load of cream, sandwiched it and served it to great acclaim.

Califrau Mon 09-Jul-07 20:08:36

Califrau Mon 09-Jul-07 20:11:28

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 09-Jul-07 20:14:03

How cool are they? I got some great cupcake moulds when I was out there, but I don't think ds will appreciate heart shaped cupcakes..

moodlumthehoodlum Mon 09-Jul-07 20:19:17

Yup I think I could do the balloon one - thanks. Everything is completely overloaded with additives out there isn't it? Must be a nightmare day to day. ds went completely beserk after being fed a box of wretched Goldfish by dh's stepmother, who then appeared just before bedtime with a luminous Nemo icecream cake...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now