Talk

Advanced search

I found poo on my chicken brought from Tesco#!!!!

(45 Posts)
jellyjelly Mon 09-Jul-07 17:25:48

Do you know if they can get fined for doing so and yes i am sure that its poo.

Carmenere Mon 09-Jul-07 17:27:08

Is it chicken poo?

heavy Mon 09-Jul-07 17:27:10

is it chicken poo?

charliecat Mon 09-Jul-07 17:27:34

chicken poo? its a dead chicken, what dya expect?

Human.......well thats another thing altogether.

heavy Mon 09-Jul-07 17:27:36

snap!

mumto3girls Mon 09-Jul-07 17:29:42

it was alive once..god next time you might find blood

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 17:30:04

Congratulations.

You obviously got an 'organic' one.

hippmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 17:30:32

A chicken is an animal - you have to expect it sometimes.
Have you never seen poo and feathers on eggs?

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Mon 09-Jul-07 17:31:13

Oh dear God.....whatever next.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 17:32:20

I don't agree with people who are saying 'what do you expect' - if the rest of the meat is getting sprayed with shit in the process of slaughtering or processing then that suggests they're not being very careful.

tissy Mon 09-Jul-07 17:32:39

so wash it off

as long as you're planning to cook the chicken before you eat it, you'll be fine

sweetkitty Mon 09-Jul-07 17:33:00

Would echo what everyone else has said it's completely normal. That's why you should always treat all raw meat as being contaminated and treat it as such, cook thoroughly different utensils etc but especially chickens as most of them have bugs on them harmless to them but deadly to us.

FioFioJane Mon 09-Jul-07 17:33:27

is it a human log?

Carmenere Mon 09-Jul-07 17:34:48

Look it is not ideal admittedly and it does imply a certain carelessness during slaughter however this is to be expected with mass produced food. Wash it, cook it thoroughly and it will be fine.

sweetkitty Mon 09-Jul-07 17:35:08

Kathy - don't want to put anyone off their dinner but have you ever seen chickens being slaughtered it's not a clean process. I would be more wary of pristine clean chicken TBH as it might mean it's been "cleaned" up to look fresher than it is.

MrsScavo Mon 09-Jul-07 17:38:13

A plucked, gutted chichen with poo on it?

Another chicken, presumably live, has pooed on a dead, prepared chicken. I'm not really sure about slaghter house methods, but doesnt' sound good to me. What kind of chicken is it? Organic or cheepo?

Carmenere Mon 09-Jul-07 17:39:37

I suspect that the poo has come from the intestines of the chicken during evisceration.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 17:47:41

Have seen it done in a farm, Sweetkitty, not on an industrial scale.
I agree that it will be fine to eat if properly cooked and there shouldn't be any risk from cross-contamination as long as you are scrupulous.

However I think we tend to be a bit too accepting of the dangers posed by industrial processes like this when they are done sloppily. A chicken with poo on it is still riskier than a chicken without IYKWIM.

If the poo was localised near it's bum I might not be so worried but if it is elsewhere, suggesting a degree of splatter from one chicken to another, it might be a sign that something is wrong in the processing plant.

edam Mon 09-Jul-07 17:47:52

I think Carmenere's right. If you eat animals, you've got to expect a bit of poo.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 17:48:13

'its' not 'it's' - sorry

ThisIsDavinaPleaseDoNotSwear Mon 09-Jul-07 17:49:40

I used to work it a chicken factory - and yes sometimes this happens.

I always wash raw meat under the tap before cooking. It will be fine, just cook it really well (and smother it in gravy - you wont be able to tell the difference {wink})

Blandmum Mon 09-Jul-07 17:51:58

I had this happen to me. I took it back and asked for some beef instead!

For some reason I had gone off the idea of chicken. (there was rather a lot of shit in side the carcass)

As a result I always wash meat well before cooking.

chopster Mon 09-Jul-07 17:57:55

god, have you ever looked at a chicken properly.

I did freak out a bit tho last week, I skinned and spatchcocked a chicken and it hadnt been very well trimmed up. It still had a bottom with poo in it! I wouldn't mind, but my finger slipped up it.

jellyjelly Mon 09-Jul-07 17:58:41

I was very surprised as it has never happened before and i was very put off. It was a normal tesco chicken.

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 17:59:04

Pleeeeeeease............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now