Talk

Advanced search

Easy but tasty tofu recipe?

(5 Posts)
Hot4Holes Tue 12-Mar-19 16:48:50

Have never tried tofu before but am keen to cut down our meat intake so would like to give it a try.
Does anyone have any good recipes? The tub I bought states it’s silken tofu if that makes any difference?
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
1Wanda1 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:58:28

Silken tofu is very soft and doesn't hold its shape, so can't be used for anything requiring cubes or chunks of tofu.

I use silken tofu very successfully to replace the ricotta in spinach and ricotta cannelloni. No one can ever tell it isn't ricotta. Defrost half a bag of whole leaf frozen spinach, and squeeze all the excess water out of the spinach. Put it in a large bowl with 1 pack of drained silken tofu, season well with salt and pepper, and add a generous grating of fresh nutmeg. Sometimes I add a couple of tbsps of grated parmesan. Mix all together and use to fill cannelloni tubes. Make a simple tomato sauce, spread half in the bottom of a shallow serving dish large enough to take the cannelloni in one layer. Lay the filled cannelloni on top, then top with more sauce. Finally, slice up a ball of of mozzarella and lay the slices on top. Hot oven 30 mins. Delicious with garlic bread!

Hot4Holes Tue 12-Mar-19 17:36:47

Oh that sounds delicious, will try that later in the week. Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
magimedi Tue 12-Mar-19 17:41:28

There are some lovely tofu recipes in THIS THREAD

The tofu satay I've linked to is yummy & really very easy. I know it's a long recipe but i just tried to write it out so it was totally clear. It's also lovely cold for snacks with any leftovers.

Firm tofu is best for savoury recipes.

cucumbergin Tue 12-Mar-19 17:57:50

You can make tofu scramble with silken tofu - lots of nice sounding recipes out there but basically you fry it up with some veg & spices (to give it a bit of flavour as otherwise the tofu is pretty bland) and the texture ends up a bit like scrambled eggs.

You can use whatever veg or flavours you like - I like frying up a chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, maybe some cherry tomatoes, then add tofu, half a tsp turmeric, bit of salt & black pepper to season, then eat it on toast for breakfast. But you can change the veg & spices and then eat it in a wrap too - tofu scramble is pretty versatile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »