Talk

Advanced search

What do you freeze stuff IN?

(9 Posts)
fircone Mon 09-Jul-07 10:05:12

Sorry to be so stupid, but when you make, say, a lasagne, do you have to decant it into a tupperware box? Can you freeze other containers? With what do you cover them?
I am a novice freezer-owner!

iota Mon 09-Jul-07 10:06:38

I recycle plastic boxes from the Chinese take-away

You can buy tinfoil boxes for freezers in the supermarket if you wish

BBBee Mon 09-Jul-07 10:08:29

pyrex dish with lid

suzywong Mon 09-Jul-07 10:08:53

Make in a pyrex dish if you don't want to decant, but that's for a full dish, if you are talking about freezing leftovers then surely you will have to decant in to a smaller container which could be tupperware but if you reheat it in the microwave the tupperware will be forever after scented of lasagne.

Or buy some disposable foil containers that come with cardboard lids, then you can make it and cook it and re-heat it in the same container.

CLingfilm then foil for covering things

fircone Mon 09-Jul-07 10:30:08

Thanks! But won't pyrex crack in a freezer? Something to do with a science bit?

MrsBadger Mon 09-Jul-07 10:34:45

Pyrex is ok the freezer so long as you let it cool to room temp first and don't put it straight in from the oven (duh). Ditto vice versa - thaw first, then heat.

The other way to do it to save leaving your best Pyrex out of action in the freezer is to line the dish with oiled foil leaving huge excess at the sides, make the lasagna, cool, fold foil over to make parcel, freeze, then lift foil package out of the dish and slip into freezer bag.
When you want to thaw and reheat, drop foil parcel in same Pyrex and peel back flaps.

for single-portion sizes we use takeaway boxes, margarine tubs etc.

fircone Mon 09-Jul-07 10:39:10

Thanks, everyone. I was envisaging making a lasagne, transferring it, and it emerging looking like a sloppy heap of cat sick. Now I shall try the foil inside the pyrex trick.

fishiejane Mon 09-Jul-07 10:40:20

freezer bags for me, although mine is mainly buns and veg not stews and things. my freezer is a terrible mess though so lots of little boxes could be much nicer.

maisemor Mon 09-Jul-07 15:46:18

Things like lasagne or fishpie I just freeze in the dish they were made in. They'll be going back in the oven anyway at some point.

Sauces and soups in tupperware style boxes.

Things like bread, pizza or sausage-rolls, I freeze in plasticbags.

Fruit in tupperware style containers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now