Talk

Advanced search

Quick fruit cake I can ice

(5 Posts)
palindromeam Mon 04-Mar-19 16:00:00

Against my better judgement I have agreed to make a cake for a party on 16th March. Recipient loves fruit cake, doesn't really like shop bought cake.

The person encouraging me to provide cake thinks we should be presenting an iced cake.

I make my Christmas cake in October and marzipan and ice it starting 10!days before Christmas.

Does anyone have a recipe for a not to heavy fruit cake that doesn't need to mature and can be iced?

CMOTDibbler Mon 04-Mar-19 16:25:49

Just use your normal recipe, but soak the fruit a day ahead of making it in - loads of quality booze, heat it up with the fruit in it and keep warm for 10 minutes. Then leave overnight. The ultra moist fruit then releases in the cake as it cooks.

Or, do the Mary Berry fruit cake traybake. Tastes great, easy to do, and you get all the fruit cake and icing without the faff or lots of fruitcake being wasted

moreismore Mon 04-Mar-19 16:27:35

Or delia’s sticky date cake is delicious. You could decorate the top with whole almonds. Or just put fondant on the top so you can ice?

SwearyG Mon 04-Mar-19 16:30:10

I make this simmer and stir cake for Christmas every year. I make ours in advance and pickle it in Brandy but with PIL I make it and then marzipan/ice it over a weekend. They like it and are pretty honest with things like that so I’d know if they didn’t. No need for any soaking or feeding if you don’t have time.

palindromeam Tue 05-Mar-19 22:09:51

Thanks everyone. I'll look at all those.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »