Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

33 PEARS - Help, what can I make?

(5 Posts)
StarryStarryNight Sat 07-Jul-07 10:33:32

I made the profound mistake of ordering 33 pears (instead of 3!!), ie 6.2kg, from Tesco!

What can I do with them? I dont want to let £8 of pears go to waste!

(And no, I cant return them, unless I take them to the nearest Tesco myself, but that is miles away)

Any suggestions

suzywong Sat 07-Jul-07 10:37:04

A model of Ullaru?

You should poache them in sugar syrup with some ground ginger and a stick of cinammon. Keep them in the fridge and have some for breakfast everyday with some Yoplait lemon yogurt.

Carmenere Sat 07-Jul-07 10:38:01

Chutney

StarryStarryNight Sat 07-Jul-07 10:41:28

LOL, Suzy, I already made the Ayers Rock model, it sitting neatly on display in a large ceramic bowl, just slightly more pointy and spikey than the original...

Do I peel, chop, add sugar, water, cinnamon stick and ground ginger? I have all that, allthough, not fresh ginger root, I ginger paste I use for curries. Will that do?

Carmenere, how do I make Chutney?

Do you reckon I can replace the apples with pears in an apple cake/apple pie? Must need extra cinnamon for flavour...

suzywong Sat 07-Jul-07 10:45:31

Yes, do all that for poaching, no don't use ginger paste.

It depends on the moisture content for replacing apples and the acidity levels.

And yes, Carmenere, let's have your recipe for pear chutney. No looking in Jane Grigson, let's have it now off the top of your head.

Maybe you would like to turn your fruits in to a series of Great Australian Geological Wonders by trying the Bungle Bungles next. Bigger but less flashy than Ullura

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now