Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help...dessert for tonight?

(12 Posts)
Mung Sat 07-Jul-07 10:02:36

I am making a lentil curry for friends tonight (mainly because it is easy and I know they will enjoy it) but I dont know what to do for a dessert. Do you think that a dessert has to complement the main course or can I just do a crumble or lemon meringue? I want something easy, but feel like I should do something more 'Indian'. I once ate some lovely coconut rice with mango in a Thai restaurant, but I have never made it and I dont want to be experimenting when I have people coming over.

Lullabyloo Sat 07-Jul-07 10:04:39

kulfi or sorbet or lemon & lime pots????????????
something citrusy would be nice

Mung Sat 07-Jul-07 10:08:42

lemon and lime pots...mmmm...sounds nice...any recipes?

Daemara Sat 07-Jul-07 10:10:30

Thai Coconut-Mango Sticky Rice

1/2 cup basmati rice or jasmine rice or other sweet asian rice
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (you can use the light kind if you want, it just makes it a little less rich)
1/2 cup sugar
1 mango, sliced

Rice: Cook rice according to package directions, but substitute coconut milk for half of the water, and add half the sugar.
It should be fairly dry when you finish cooking it, without any liquid visible in the pot.
Sauce: In a medium saucepan, boil the rest of the coconut milk with the second half of the sugar.
Keep this at a full boil until the rice is cooked, or until it reaches a thick, syrupy consistency.
Presentation: Arrange the cooked coconut rice in a bowl or plate with the mango slices in some kind of pretty formation and dribble a bit of the sauce over the whole thing.

from Recipezaar

I have made coconut rice before but not with mango but this recipe sounds pretty easy to follow and not too much effort.

fruittea Sat 07-Jul-07 10:12:08

James Martin's Coconut Rice Pudding

fruittea Sat 07-Jul-07 10:12:50

James Tanner even

Mung Sat 07-Jul-07 10:16:53

Great...thanks. I shouldn't ruin either of those recipes .

Lullabyloo Sat 07-Jul-07 10:55:08

lemon & lime pots

3 leaves gelatine
25ml water with 1 tbsp caster sugar
500g creme fraiche
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lime
150 ml lemon & lime juice

makes 6 little pots

soak gelatine in cold water
Bring water & sugar to the boil in a small saucepan
when the gelatine has gone soft,squeeze the leaves & dissolve in the water & sugar mixture,
whisk the creme fraiche in a large bowl & add the zests & juices.
sieve the gelatine mixture into the creme fraiche mix & stir well.
pour equally into small pots & put in fridge.
leave to set for at least 2 hrs.

cornsilk Sat 07-Jul-07 11:13:23

Angel delight in fancy bowls.

Lullabyloo Sat 07-Jul-07 11:23:14

bleuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh

Mung Sun 08-Jul-07 09:35:36

I did a mixtue of the two coconut rice recipes and added toasted sesame seeds...yummmmm.

Daemara Sun 08-Jul-07 17:25:57

glad it turned out nice.. only thing I've made today are blueberry muffins for breakfast... though i'm about to make some sort of tea in a min. best go do that before dh catches me not atually working on my writing like I said I was doing.. well this is writing sort of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now