Talk

Advanced search

please don't laugh but have never made a jacket potato before

(16 Posts)
Stargazing Fri 06-Jul-07 16:31:27

so how do I do it?

BBBee Fri 06-Jul-07 16:32:53

wash it and put it in the oven at 200c for about an hour.

<<<snirk>>>>

totaleclipse Fri 06-Jul-07 16:33:08

haaaaaa haaa ha ha haa ha ha ha haa ha ha ha haa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa haaa ha ha ha haa haaa haaaa haa haa haa haaaaaa

BBBee Fri 06-Jul-07 16:33:08

oh prick the skin too.

saadia Fri 06-Jul-07 16:33:42

Remember to poke holes in it with a fork. I do mine in the microwave for 10 mins.

Katymac Fri 06-Jul-07 16:34:29

Or 10 mins in a microwave then 5/10 min under the grill to crisp up the skin

Remember to slit the potato before either method of cooking

3rd method

Cut potatoo in half put butter & salt & pepper on th ecut side and place face down on a baking sheet for about 3/4 of an hour

lisad123 Fri 06-Jul-07 16:34:42

Depends how you like them
I put mine in oven after piecing skin in oven at 200 for about 90mins, but then mine are big and i like my skin crispy.

Other anser is piece and put in mircomave for about 10 mins, if you like soft skin.
l

sarahlou1uk Fri 06-Jul-07 16:34:52

I do mine in the microwave for 5 mins either side and then shove in oven at max heat for 45 mins. Mind you, I like them REALLY well done!

MyEye Fri 06-Jul-07 16:34:54

if you like crispy jackets, rub it with a tiny bit of veg oil
dust with sea salt for poshness

Katymac Fri 06-Jul-07 16:35:08

Stargazing - I taught my 9 yo to do this last night and gave her the options as well

sniff Fri 06-Jul-07 16:35:27

Iput a little oil on the skins and if for adult rub a little salt on

I love baked pots If you need them quicker cook in microwave then do the above for 20 mins and they will taste xactly the same

ps they are cooked when a knife goes in really easily if it doesnt they will be hard in the middle my pet hate

Stargazing Fri 06-Jul-07 16:36:38

you be quiet eclipse, I make a mean risotto and have a kick-arse repertoire of various other yummy things - have just never done the basic stuff before!! I've gone from dinner party girl to mum and the transition takes some getting used to. Having said that, dd lovs my risotto.

I am off to prick holes now. Thanking you.

(flicks hair and flounces to kitchen)

doughnuts Fri 06-Jul-07 16:36:41

that's funny - I'm just doing one for ds now - usually cut in half to cook quicker and rubbed in olive oil and a bit of sea salt - nice and crispy - yum !

Twiglett Fri 06-Jul-07 16:40:53

some people wrap them in silver foil

lizziemun Fri 06-Jul-07 18:47:48

I rub a little bit of oil over the skin and cook at gas mark 5 untill cooked.

Do remember to prick the skin.

My mum forgot to prick the skin once, there was a loud bang. She had us searching the house from top to bottom to what had fallen over including the loft. She went to the oven to see if potatoes were cooked. The oven was fall of mash potato where they had burst. It took hours to clean the oven.

Stargazing Fri 06-Jul-07 19:37:16

after all that I forgot to prick the skin, but they were wrapped in foil and very nice indeed. Thank you for humouring me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now