Talk

Advanced search

Sprinkles for use in cake batter

(10 Posts)
Rockbird Tue 26-Feb-19 19:11:01

Just tried to make cakes with sprinkles in rather than on top and they all just dissolved and more or less disappeared. Does anyone know of any brands that will actually stay colourful when baked into cakes? DD2 is devastated! grin

OP’s posts: |
imsorryiasked Tue 26-Feb-19 19:23:33

Unfortunately sprinkles aren't designed to be baked. Why not sprinkle some food colouring in the batter if you just want colour?
Otherwise use choc chips / fudge chunks / cherries / sultanas.

Blondie1984 Wed 27-Feb-19 00:01:35

Were you using the tiny round sprinkles (non pareil)? They aren't great and so you need rainbow sprinkles instead - I use the "Bright & Bold" ones from dr oetker

palomapear Thu 28-Feb-19 12:58:41

Shires bakery have some last time I looked. Mail order.

Rockbird Thu 28-Feb-19 19:39:19

Thanks, sorry this disappeared off my TIO. Yes I used ordinary sprinkles, didn't realise they would melt. Obvious really!

I'll have a look for the Dr Oetker ones, thanks. And Shires, hadn't heard of them. Thanks.

palomapear Thu 28-Feb-19 21:04:05

This is the cake I made with Shires Bakery sprinkles

Rockbird Thu 28-Feb-19 21:09:56

That's the look we were hoping for. Just looked at their website, I'm in sprinkle heaven, so many! Thanks!

palomapear Thu 28-Feb-19 21:13:57

I think it was Rainbow Jimmies that I used.
Come back and share a photo too when you have made it.

Squeakyheart Thu 28-Feb-19 21:20:16

Thanks for asking this I've also had disappointing results with sprinkles so good to know what to do next time!

MotherWol Mon 04-Mar-19 15:02:52

I get them on eBay, search for 'funfetti sprinkles'. I find the long strand type ones work best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »