Talk

Advanced search

Instant pot v cheap alternative

(9 Posts)
Kaz2200 Mon 25-Feb-19 12:34:38

Not sure if this the the right place, but asking advice from all you expert Instant Pot owners. I have an electric pressure cooker, bought off ebay a few years ago, lost the instructions, but do use it for cooking braising steak etc. Would I benefit from trading up to an Instant Pot, especially so I could get some recipes, or is there not much difference. Also looking at the Tefal version if anyone has that?

OP’s posts: |
meepmoop Mon 25-Feb-19 16:51:20

I don't have any experience of other ones but I love my instant pot.

(Probably not a very helpful reply)

Kaz2200 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:02:19

I more wanted to know if I should upgrade or not.

FreeButtonBee Mon 25-Feb-19 20:40:07

I don’t really use the other setting other than pressure cook and sauté. The keep warm function is handy and I do like the Daley timer as well. The slow cooker option isn’t that good (but pressure cook is just as useful, just a different way of getting same result). I would imagine that pretty much all IP pressure cook recipe could be adapted for your pressure cooker. So I’d not rush to replace it. I do really like mine - it great for prepping stuff so dinner time is much faster. And the honey sesame chicken recipe (with frozen chicken thighs) is life changing

FreeButtonBee Mon 25-Feb-19 20:41:56

On and the IP supplied cook book is RUBBISH. I mostly use online recipes. I just google the recipe and add “instant pot” to the end of the google search!

GrannyHaddock Mon 25-Feb-19 22:47:06

Don't be dazzled by all the buttons on the Instant Pot. The porridge button does not suit the oats we buy in the UK. I never use the rice button, just cook rice using the normal pressure. The slow cooker function is nearly useless.
The simple pressure cooking is great though, and the saute function useful and powerful, especially when thickening sauces. (I still fry in a large wok, as I like having more room to stir the food). Keep warm is handy, but a slow cooker setting is much the same.
If your electric pressure cooker can do those things, you don't need an IP.

GrannyHaddock Mon 25-Feb-19 22:51:20

And yes, the IP recipe leaflet is hopeless. Madhur Jaffrey is bringing out an IP book next month. We can do with more UK publications, certainly.

Kaz2200 Tue 26-Feb-19 06:58:04

Thanks everyone, I have to admit I'm a sucker for a kitchen gadget and would love a shiny new instant pot. However I will stick to my old one for know. I cooking a small gammon joint today, anyone know how long I cook for.

GrannyHaddock Tue 26-Feb-19 21:23:33

Well, if you really want one, you are in a great position to wait for a price drop and then buy. I know they go for £80ish at times, but I paid around £110 for mine. Still worth every penny!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »