Talk

Advanced search

Observations welcome on a recipe I'm cooking tonight ...

(9 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 21-Feb-19 18:26:03

Here it is

cod recipe

Just reading through the list of ingredients, does anything strike you as unusual?

IDrinkAndISewThings Thu 21-Feb-19 18:28:22

Are we seriously cooking potatoes in 300mls of olive oil?!

mrscampbellblackagain Thu 21-Feb-19 18:29:42

That is a lot of oil!

Finfintytint Thu 21-Feb-19 18:37:57

Yes, the oil and a kilo of cod is quite expensive. How many are you cooking for?

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 21-Feb-19 19:13:08

Yes! too much oil surely?

I'm cooking for 3 and have just bought 3 fillets of cod from the fishmonger.

I used Ania potatoes cut in half lengthways, a small red onion, 3 cloves of garlic, dried oregano, salt & black pepper. Then I sloshed over a generous amount of everyday olive oil (not using EV for cooking! and certainly not 300ml, more like 3 or 4 tbsp I should think) the juice of a lemon and a bit of water.

I'm thinking of cooking the cod on top of the potatoes rather than separately.

Will let you know how it turns out! Roasted cherry tomatoes and green beans going with.

TooMinty Thu 21-Feb-19 19:16:11

If you look closely at the picture it seems to be swimming in oil so maybe they did use 300ml. Not very healthy though! I'd do the same as you and just drizzle on a reasonable amount (couple of tbsps).

Ballbags Thu 21-Feb-19 19:22:55

Even I wouldn't use 300ml of EVOO!! Way to expensive, greasy and also EVOO is better as a condiment not a cooking oil.

cdtaylornats Thu 21-Feb-19 22:01:56

The potatoes are meant to absorb the lemon flavoured oil. It is a technique called confit. You only confit in oil you want to eat. Don't put the cod on top of the potatoes they wont cook right and the cod skin will be flabby.

If you don't cover the potatoes you will get a sort of fondant potato cooked in lemon scented water.

AnnaMayEveryday Wed 27-Feb-19 11:18:49

I think that should be 30ml which is about 2 tablespoons.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »