Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

soya

(3 Posts)
pinkum Thu 05-Jul-07 13:15:32

i know that soya milk is full of esrogen[?spelling] but can anyone tell me if this is the same with tofu, soya meal/flour and other soya products, babes 7 months and im vege feeding him fish but looking for other protien.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-Jul-07 17:33:57

I think all soya products have physoestrogen. I don't know how big a deal this is for boys, though, if it's only a small part of their diet. A bit of tofu here and there is different from soya formula all the time, iyswim.

I don't think protein is that important at this age, anyway (the food is just for tasting, they get what they need from milk), but here are some other options:
- cheese, yogurt etc (allergy risk, I know)
- egg (allergy again)
- quinoa (ok, it's a grain, but still)
- legumes - beans, lentils etc. Hummous fits in here

FrannyandZooey Thu 05-Jul-07 17:37:06

I agree with NQC

as part of a varied diet, soya is fine IMO

All foods except fruit and some vegetables have enough protein to sustain life, we are a bit hung up about protein in this country thanks to the Milk Marketing board and the meat industry. When your baby is a year old I would be aiming to be cooking some family type meals for him. Until then, as NQC said, just let him taste things and not worry too much about a "balanced" diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now