Talk

Advanced search

Ripe fruit - does it exist?

(9 Posts)
Katsma Thu 05-Jul-07 02:36:37

I'm sick and tired of buying rock hard fruit, out of season, that never ripens. I mainly shop in our local Somerfield and Tesco Metro (both teeny tiny sized shops) because they are in pram-pushing distance.

Other options seem to be:

Veg Boxes - but there's a thread on here with people saying they end up with furry fruit.

Local farm shop - does great veg, but only has frozen berry fruits.

Local market - one or two things worth considering, but it's been peeing down for weeks and only I turn up

So, fresh fruit, just something else that I didn't appreciate enough during my childhood?

<dreams of biting into a peach and juice running down my chin>

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-Jul-07 06:13:39

We get unripe fruit from our fruit box, but it does ripen. Our local markets are full of ripe fruit too - often too ripe, but still ...

geekgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 06:35:58

greengrocers seem to do much better in this regard - I bought some ripe peaches yesterday for what must be the first time ever. Much cheaper too.

Katsma Thu 05-Jul-07 12:18:21

NQC - would you recommend your fruit box then? Which company supplies it?

Geekgirl - Ah yes, the greengrocer. You sound v lucky as ours only sells stir fry veg and busy lizzies nowadays!

littleducks Thu 05-Jul-07 12:26:31

i buy sainsburys fruit, when it is reduced, it is always ripe that day and for three days afterwards, i now get really disapointed if i buy their fruit full price as it takes a good week to ripen. I used to find tesco fruit rubbish am much happier now a Sainsburys has opened. Is there a farmers market near you, we have a lovely one for other things but no fruit and veg really.

Have you tried keeping the fruit in a bowl on a sunny window ledge with ripe bananas? Then make banana cake when the bananas go totally black.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 05-Jul-07 19:23:42

Mine is Abel and Cole. I think they're ok - I wish I had a more local sort of scheme, though.

FioFio Thu 05-Jul-07 19:24:56

Message withdrawn

hoolagirl Thu 05-Jul-07 19:39:17

I sympathise, the only place i've found ripe fruit is a small fruit and veg shop in the next town.
It needs eaten that day or the next, but its better than eating rock hard stuff.

Katsma Fri 06-Jul-07 00:50:36

Oh I do hope Sainsburys are better - we are going to get one near us next year.

Abel and Cole, will check them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now