Talk

Advanced search

i'm melting chocolate in a pan and its gone lumpy - why???

(31 Posts)
sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:20:55

i'm trying to melt chocolate for rice crispie cakes. I have a pan full of water and the chocolate in a glass bowl in the pan but the chocolate keeps going lumpy and not melting properly

Ive melted chocolate loads of times before and this has never happened but i'm nearly out of choc and need some help to get it right this time or DD is going to strop

MrsBadger Sat 30-Jun-07 16:22:56

use it lumpy

the kids won't care

NotQuiteCockney Sat 30-Jun-07 16:23:51

Weird.

I always melt it in the microwave. I'm lazy like that.

I would use it lumpy, anyway.

Furball Sat 30-Jun-07 16:24:06

eat it quick, then melt some more!

zubin Sat 30-Jun-07 16:25:09

AM no expert but think it goes lumpy when it gets too hot

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:25:46

microwave i hadn't thought of that!

does it melt well using a microwave? how long etc?

Millarkie Sat 30-Jun-07 16:26:06

It goes lumpy and horrid if water gets in - you could try adding a little butter.

CarGirl Sat 30-Jun-07 16:26:08

ditto zubin

CarGirl Sat 30-Jun-07 16:26:47

be very careful with the microwave melting, lowish setting and check every 10 secs after the first 30 secs????

NotQuiteCockney Sat 30-Jun-07 16:27:34

I just do it slowly, yeah. I use a lowish setting, and just do it in bits.

I'm normally melting for cakes, not for anything too precise, anyway.

Millarkie Sat 30-Jun-07 16:27:37

Microwave is easier but keep an eye on it (I melted 2 big bars in 1min 20 in ours..but it's 900watts), I check after the first 30 secs then again every 20 or so - if it goes over it turns grainy and yuk.

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:30:30

ah maybe thats why

i'd brought the water to the boil and then moved it to simmer but put the choc in the bowl straight away with out leaving time to let water cool

Desiderata Sat 30-Jun-07 16:31:28

Well if you will buy cheap, crappo chocolate

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:31:35

millarkie thats exactly how mine has gone, it doesn't taste very nice

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:32:00

lol desi you can go now!

Desiderata Sat 30-Jun-07 16:33:47

I've just read your profile ... love the picture. You look just like Audrey Hepburn (!)

Four children .... respect!

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:36:27

i know uncanny isn't it

damn have i got 4? - that means i've lost 1

<<looks under the sofa>>>

Pidge Sat 30-Jun-07 16:37:49

this is called 'seizing' - it happens if you heat the chocolate too vigorously. Once it's seized (gone lumpy) there is little you can do to bring it back unfortunately. And white chocolate is particularly susceptible, milk less so, and plain least of all.

My green and blacks cookbook even gives a temperature guide to how hot you can allow the choc to get before it all goes horribly wrong. But basically the trick is to keep it really gentle and not too hot.

If you use a bowl over a pan of water - don't let the water boil and certainly don't let the bowl actually touch the water.

I'm another fan of the microwave method - put it on nice and low for 20-30 seconds at a time, and give an occasionaly very gentle stir, or even just a bit of a shake!

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:40:15

pidge i didn't get past the green & blacks cookbook where can i get one of those?

Pidge Sat 30-Jun-07 16:41:51

I guess they're on sale in most cookshops.

Such is my reputation as a chocolate fiend I was given TWO copies one Christmas. (Managed to trade one in for Nigella's Feast!)

Pidge Sat 30-Jun-07 16:42:20

when I said 'cookshop' I meant 'bookshop'

NotQuiteCockney Sat 30-Jun-07 16:43:06

The G+B cookbook is good - I've done the chocolate courgette cake and the chocolate chip and brazil nut cookies, both are very good.

I have to work up the nerve to try some of the savoury chocolate dishes, though ...

Pidge Sat 30-Jun-07 16:44:31

I did the venison in chocolate for my dad's birthday - very yummy, though not sure I could have spotted the chocolate.

Peachy Sat 30-Jun-07 16:45:04

Just amde a yummy chocolate and ginger cake (Nigella's chocolate ornage cake but with ginger preserve) whihc is easy as you just add the choc to butter you just melted, but generaly I use the microwaver as well- by far the most easy and risk free method. And take it out before its all melted, the warmth will melt the rest anyway

sparklesandwine Sat 30-Jun-07 16:45:45

think i might go to heffers tomorrow!

Just tried the microwave melting and it worked a treat that you so much - i have now learned a new thing today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now