Talk

Advanced search

Dinner lady cookbook

(22 Posts)
jenk1 Sat 30-Jun-07 10:49:03

i have made 2 recipes from this in the last week, the moussaka which was okish and the kedgeree which was lovely and tonight im making chicken and lemon rissoto.
its a great book with really easy to understand instructions, oh and im making the cornflake tart as well.

if anyone has this cookbook can you tell me what else is good to make as this is really a good book and easy to understand, ive borrowed it from the library but i think ill buy it.

TIA

DontCallMeBaby Sat 30-Jun-07 11:05:48

Flapjack, and ... erm, I think that's all I've actually cooked from this book. About eleven times. Yum.

Hulababy Sat 30-Jun-07 11:21:13

Most of it is great TBH. We have tried the chicken curry, sweet and sour, chiken and pea risooto, cowboy cassserole, etc. All have been a success with DH and DD alike.

Lilliput Sat 30-Jun-07 11:41:43

The scone recipe is good. The pork meatballs are brilliant, really easy especially if you have a food processor, my kids love then.

smugmumofboys Sat 30-Jun-07 11:46:51

The banana loaf is really tasty and easy to make.

bozza Sat 30-Jun-07 11:46:51

TBH I am a bit disappointed with it. A lot of the recipes were very similar to what I would already make without a recipe book. I have made the risotto though several times and we all enjoy that. Although I usually do it slightly different and use leftover chicken from a roast and then just add lemon juice/zest to the risotto. I also made some sort of tomato and orange relish which I thought was lovely but the rest of them weren't that impressed with - I think I must have made the burgers that it goes with too.

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 09:00:05

bozza - it is the simplicity bit that I do like TBH. Just normal day to day recipes, all without added salt. Although some of the recipes I did make my own versions of before, having the book just reminded me oof what I could make (and slightly different versions at times).

NannyL Sun 01-Jul-07 11:43:18

i have made that lemon chicken risotto...

it is SO yummy

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 11:45:12

The chicken curry recipe is really nice

mintchips Sun 01-Jul-07 11:58:22

Can I ask what the actual name of this book is?

I put a search on it on amazon, after hearing about it on here, and it didn't come up with anything

thanks x

geekgirl Sun 01-Jul-07 12:03:13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dinner-Lady-Jeanette-Orrey/dp/0593054296/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-1514287-1090811 ?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183287727&sr=8-1

Hulababy Sun 01-Jul-07 12:21:49

£12.99 inc P&P on Play.com - this is the first book

£14.49 all in again on Play, for the second book.

McDreamy Sun 01-Jul-07 12:25:06

Amazon marketplace has some cheap copies here

janeite Sun 01-Jul-07 12:35:33

Ooh is the cornflake tart the one that used to be served for school dinners? I DREAM about that! Does anybody please, please have a recipe?

jenk1 Sun 01-Jul-07 12:48:49

here you go janiete

Cornflake Tart serves 4

8oz of plain flour
2oz of margerine
2oz vegetable shortening
half ounce of caster sugar
1 floz of water (this is for pastry)

Filling

6oz seedless raspberry jam
2oz butter or margerine
2oz caster sugar
1oz golden syrup
6oz cornflakes

(i cheat and buy ready made pastry!!!)

To make the pastry sift the flour into a large bowl. Cut the margerine and veg shortening into cubes and quickly rub into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in the sugar and water and mix, using a round-bladed knife. until the mixture begins to stick together in large lumps. With one hand collect the dough together to form a ball. turn out on to a clean work sufrace and gently knead and shape into an even ball, then roll out and use to line a 20-23cm 8-9inch loo se based flan tin, chill for about 30 mins. preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6.

Neaten the edges of the pastry,line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (or dried beans) bake blind in the oven for about 15 mins. Remove the beans and paper and return to the oven to dry out for a further 5-10 mins.
spread the base of the pastry case with jam.
melt the butter or margerine,sugar and syrup together in a pan,then add the cornflakes and mix. spread this on top of the jam in the pastry case and leave to cool and set.

janeite Sun 01-Jul-07 13:01:45

Jenk you are a star - thank you so much. Do you bake the ready made pastry blind like in the recipe?

MrsSpoon Sun 01-Jul-07 13:06:18

My favourites from this book are sweet and sour chicken, sausage casserole, banana loaf and the orange traybake cake.

jenk1 Sun 01-Jul-07 17:35:41

yes i still bake it blind

Raggydoll Sun 01-Jul-07 17:40:56

jenk1 - try the moussaka again but use the strongest cheddar you can find - it makes a huge difference.

Raggydoll Sun 01-Jul-07 17:44:18

i've also tried the chilli which was quite good and had baked beans in it!

janeite Sun 01-Jul-07 19:37:49

Thanks again Jenk. Will make this next weekend and indulge in a serious nostalgia trip!

jenk1 Sun 01-Jul-07 21:38:55

right will try that raggydoll, i did use mild cheddar last time so perhaps thats why it didnt taste as well as i thought.
my mum has just got me the 2nd dinner lady book from the library so im having a look through that one tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now