Talk

Advanced search

tofu

(8 Posts)
pinkum Fri 29-Jun-07 13:42:39

hi. can anyone tell me what to do with tofu. i want it to freeze in ice cube trays as a single ingredient to add to other veges as i need it. i want to wizz it up ready to go but dont know if i need to cook it first then wizz it or what? its for a 7 month old whos not keen on lumps. its normal tofu not silken or whatever its called.

Brangelina Fri 29-Jun-07 13:54:26

I found it doesn't freeze well, it goes all sort of furry-in-the-mouth when defrosted. I do understand your dilemma, though, the portions it comes in are far too large for a baby. I used to blend to death with vegetables and freeze and sometimes that wasn't too bad, otherwise another solution is to make a dip/sandwich spread type thing with veggies, onion or garlic or other flavourings and olive oil, stored in a screw topped jar in the fridge. It lasts a bit longer that way and you could also eat it yourself.

suzywong Fri 29-Jun-07 13:55:31

it is the work of the devil
are you vegan? do you really need to feed it to your baby?

pinkum Fri 29-Jun-07 14:13:25

im not vegan but i am vegge and wanted to get some protein into him and saw it in a recepie but it was with baking right before and i cant be arsed to cook tiney little meals 3 times a day.

pinkum Fri 29-Jun-07 14:22:13

by the way if i dont freeze it do i nood to cook it before giving it to him? if so how abd before or after wizzing?

mslucy Fri 29-Jun-07 14:24:06

have you tried the smoked variety?

you can slice it up or fry til crispy.

might make a good finger food - might be a bit weird if you blend.

i find normal tofu a bit icky - smoked stuff really quite yum.

suzywong Fri 29-Jun-07 14:26:57

no, you don't need to cook it

GogoTheSmall Fri 29-Jun-07 14:43:58

I whizzed up tofu the other day to make chocolate icing (mixed it with melted choc & maple syrup & it was yum). I found it still had tiny white specks in it, not big enough to feel in the mouth though. But I used a food processor so a proper blender might do a better job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: