Talk

Advanced search

I've got half a jar of mincemeat

(26 Posts)
Gazelda Fri 11-Jan-19 13:20:40

Can I use it? If so, what for? Something a bit more imaginative than mince pies.

Gotstuckwiththisname Fri 11-Jan-19 13:26:21

I've got a jar of mincemeat that I'm doing a kind of filled big oat slice with. I thought it up myself - flapjack type base, mincemeat in the middle & thick crumble topping.

FadedRed Fri 11-Jan-19 13:27:09

In a fruit cake
In an apple pie
Added to vodka or gin and left for a while for the alcohol to pick up the flavours, then strain and drink alcohol. And use the boozy mincemeat in an apple pie/ next Christmas cake / mixed with more mincemeat in next Christmas mince pies.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 11-Jan-19 13:27:56

Dot blobs of it into simple fairy cakes, for mince pie cakes?
Or mix through vanilla ice cream.

Tanaqui Fri 11-Jan-19 13:28:02

Mincemeat and apple crumble is delicious.

MargoLovebutter Fri 11-Jan-19 13:28:03

mincemeat & apple crumble - delicious!

put it in the middle of a baked apple

I've seen recipes for mincemeat muffins but I've never tried them

GahWhatever Fri 11-Jan-19 13:28:17

Make an apple and mincemeat crumble (with demerara and oats in the crumble)and serve with vanilla icecream.

Use as a part filling in a strudel.

My DM used to use leftover mincemeat in curry, or mixed into sausagemeat stuffing for game birds. It was the 70s. Whether or not you decide to try it is based on your own palate!

grasspigeons Fri 11-Jan-19 13:29:02

its nice in muffins - find a date muffin recipe and replace some the dates and a bit of the sugar with mincemeat

GahWhatever Fri 11-Jan-19 13:29:38

Or mix through vanilla ice cream.
You'll want to cook it first presumably as mincemeat contains raw fat.

Gazelda Fri 11-Jan-19 13:59:36

OMG! I'm going to have to go buy some more mincemeat - I love so many of these ideas.
Thanks all.

slug Fri 11-Jan-19 14:02:38

Soften some cheap vanilla icecream and mix the mincemeat in. Firm it up again in the freezer. Hey presto, mincemeat icecream.

GahWhatever Fri 11-Jan-19 15:41:37

Bleurch!
I think a couple of you are mixing up Christmas pudding ice cream with mincemeat ice cream.
Christmas pudding ice cream is an excellent way to use up that last portion of pudding before it dries out.
Mincemeat contains raw fat (suet: which is solid organ fat, unless its a veggie mincemeat in which case it's grated vegetable shortening) and must be cooked before eating.

Bloomcounty Sat 12-Jan-19 10:43:39

I use mine as a filling for baked apples. The flapjack oaty slice thing sounds amazing though!

Nnnnnineteen Sat 12-Jan-19 11:25:39

Spread onto several sheets of filo, roll, sprinkle with sugar, bake. Cut into Swiss roll type slices , custard on top.

Whisky2014 Sat 12-Jan-19 11:28:11

We had a mincemeat strudel on NYE and it was amazing

AdaColeman Sat 12-Jan-19 11:36:49

Make mincemeat whirls with it. Ready rolled puff pastry sheet, spread with mincemeat, roll up longways like a Swiss roll, cut into slices and bake on a non stick or lined tray. Much quicker & easier than mince pies.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 12-Jan-19 15:59:48

Nigel Slater’s mincemeat hotcakes - mix mincemeat, egg yolks and plain flour. Fold in egg whites whisked to soft peaks. Fry dollops of about a tablespoon full, turning carefully when the first side is nicely browned. Serve with brandy butter or cream.

Yearofthemum Sun 13-Jan-19 18:30:28

Not much of an answer but if you do need to get more mincemeat, it's really easy to make your own, without fat. But with alcohol. It is bloody lovely.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 13-Jan-19 18:32:20

Mix it with ice cream - micemeat ice cream is bloody lovely.

Whisky2014 Sun 13-Jan-19 18:44:42

But it has suet in it!

ChesterGreySideboard Sun 13-Jan-19 18:46:35

Mincemeat contains raw fat (suet: which is solid organ fat, unless its a veggie mincemeat in which case it's grated vegetable shortening) and must be cooked before eating.

I’ve been vegi for over 20 years and I’m yet to find a jar of mince meat that has animal suet in it.

Whatsnewwithyou Sun 13-Jan-19 18:47:32

I stir mine into porridge (I use meridian which is vegan).

imcrackersme Sun 13-Jan-19 18:49:08

Mary berry has a lovely mincemeat bread and butter pudding recipe.

SheepyFun Sun 13-Jan-19 18:55:38

It's surprisingly good mixed with natural yoghurt - that solved our oversupply!

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 13-Jan-19 18:59:20

I haven’t seen meaty mincemeat for ages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »