Talk

Advanced search

Why are my carrots still like bullets??

(16 Posts)
Rockbird Mon 07-Jan-19 17:22:57

Adding a sofrito mix to my bolognese. Have softened it in the pan, celery and onion lovely, carrots like little shards of rock. Bunged it in the microwave for 5 sodding minutes. Carrots like little shards of concrete. What am I doing wrong and how tf do you soften carrots in something like this? I have no problem cooking normal carrots but whenever I try to put them in a shepherds pie or something they're like little stones. angry

OP’s posts: |
Weezol Mon 07-Jan-19 17:27:42

What size are you chopping them to?

Rockbird Mon 07-Jan-19 17:39:38

They're tiny, pea sized or smaller

greenelephantscarf Mon 07-Jan-19 17:43:16

how long have you cooked them?
carrots take some time (which is why I grate them)

Rockbird Mon 07-Jan-19 18:29:02

They were in the pan for about 10-15 minutes and then 5 minutes in the microwave. Then in the oven for 30 mins and they were still hard. It was a pre packed mix, next time I'll grate them separately.

FoggyNelson Mon 07-Jan-19 18:34:36

I think 10-15 mins might not be enough, I usually sautée for at least 20 (then simmer on low heat for about 3 hours). If I'm in a rush, I grate them.

MaverickSnoopy Tue 08-Jan-19 12:32:03

Not long enough. Onions, carrots and celery are done here for 20-30 mins on hob and then once all other ingredients have been added it gets cooked for a further 3 hours on the hob at least - I tend to cook on medium to high for an hour and the turn down to a simmer for the remaining time.

formerbabe Tue 08-Jan-19 20:07:01

I always find carrots to be like that. I grate them on a box grater rather than finely chopped and they cook much quicker.

Rockbird Tue 08-Jan-19 20:30:21

Thanks all. So a prepacked sofrito mix is never going to work then. Thanks Waitrose!

greenelephantscarf Tue 08-Jan-19 20:42:29

if you freeze it first it will go softer.

Notso Tue 08-Jan-19 20:49:02

They'll just cook along with the rest of it surely. Mine are never cooked after the sautéing, they are cooked during the simmering. Same for cottage/shepherds pie mixture.

FusionChefGeoff Thu 10-Jan-19 09:04:37

I'm with Notso, they cook during the simmer?!

Rockbird Thu 10-Jan-19 17:17:55

No they don't though. I thought that, especially as the bits are so small. But alas not. I might try freezing but otherwise it's not worth the effort.

halfwitpicker Thu 10-Jan-19 17:20:47

Sauté with the lid on for ten mins. Then simmer for at least an hour. Don't buy pre packed veg, I think they add a preservative that stops them cooking easily.

lily219 Mon 14-Jan-19 02:51:12

I think it might be the 'pre-packed' bit that's the problem. I chop my own carrots etc and braise them slowly with the lid on for about 10 or 15 mins (by which time they're soft) before adding the other stuff.

kateandme Mon 14-Jan-19 03:29:24

yes ours are never softened for 20 not anywhere near at the start.but the softening come from sitting in the liquid and simmering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »