Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Veggie recipes to freeze

(18 Posts)
Catz Thu 28-Jun-07 15:35:08

I've got a couple of weeks to go till my due date and am planning to freeze a few meals so that we can have something healthy with little effort for the first few days when the LO arrives.

Does anyone have any good suggestions or recipes for things that would freeze well for a month or so? I'm veggie but eat milk/cheese/eggs.

Many thanks for any ideas

Catz

ThomCat Thu 28-Jun-07 15:36:24

ohhh I made a veggie shepherds pie using red lentils rather than mince the other day, will try and find it hang on...

ThomCat Thu 28-Jun-07 15:38:03

Here you go:

By SingingBear on Fri 22-Jun-07 18:03:05
Shepherds pie: tastes better than it sounds (I think because of the red pesto)

2tbsp olive oil
2 onions chopped finely
2 sticks celery chopped finely
3 carrots chopped finely
400g can chopped tomatoes
425ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp tomato puree
100g red lentils (I use a few more)
3 tbsp pesto (I use red pesto from a jar - I think it's now called "tomato" or "sundried tomato")

Topping:
1kg/2lb 4oz floury potatoes and a little milk, butter, nutmeg etc for mashing
100g/4 oz cheddar cheese (if wished)

1. Heat oil, add onions, fry 10 mins till softened. Add celery, carrots and soften 5 minutes.

2. Sir in tomatoes, stock, tomoato puree, lentils. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Season well, stir in pesto, and put into 1.7 litre/3pint overproof dish.

3. Meanwhile boil and mash your potatoes. Stir in the milk, butter, nutmeg etc and half the cheese, and seasoning. Put mash on top of the pie base, and sprinkle over remaining cheese.

4. Cook 30 minutes, at 200C/Gas 6/fan oven 180C

Rubyslippers Thu 28-Jun-07 15:38:08

cauliflower cheese
macaroni cheese
veggie sausage casserole
i use veggie mince for lots of things - shepherds pies, chilli etc and they all freeze well
make some soups as well - lentil or split pea as that is a really easy meal with some bread

ThomCat Thu 28-Jun-07 15:40:46

PS - I made ten tonne of fodd to freeze when I was pregnant with DD1, it was great!

How about sausage casserole using veggie sausages?

You just brown sausages first, chuck em in casserole dish with loads of different veggies, peppers, mushrooms, swede, potatoes, carrots, green beans and then buy a packet of saus casserole mix, use red wine instead of water in mix, pour in and cook for an hour of so till everything soft then freexe.

Or veggie stews.

Veggie sauce for spag bol

Catz Thu 28-Jun-07 16:29:17

Thanks, esp for the shepherds' pie recipe - my spuds in the garden are just starting to get to the digging up stage so I'll dig a few up for that!

Just have to find the energy to start cooking now!

ThomCat Thu 28-Jun-07 16:37:12

Get up one morning, have breakfast and then put some music on, open windows and enjoy chopping while you sing

aDad Thu 28-Jun-07 16:45:15

veggie / beany mexican stew freezes really well.

I just made a vat of it here this afternoon.

Great in tortillas with guacamole one night, or with plain rice another.

Also TC's shepherd's pie filling can be used as a veggie bolognese to have on spaghetti. Another reason to make even more of it!

ThomCat Thu 28-Jun-07 16:53:19

ohh lol I was just coming on to say the same thing about that lentil stuff and to suggest a chilli!

aDad Thu 28-Jun-07 16:55:48

I lurve the stuff.

It's the best cooking when you just have one big pot and throw everything in. Nice and unfussy.

slayerette Thu 28-Jun-07 17:08:32

Rose Elliot's veggie chilli is the nicest food in the world on a baked potato with lots of cheese. You MUST make it - it freezes really well:

Fry 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped red pepper for 10 mins. Add garlic and tin of chopped tomatoes. Add two cans of kidney beans (drained and rinsed) and 4 oz of green lentils (previously cooked for 45 mins). Add 1 tsp paprika pepper and 1 tsp chilli powder. Simmer for 15 mins and season to taste with salt and black pepper.

DH and I have this once a week without fail - I always keep a supply in the freezer. So easy and quick to make (as long as you remember to cook the lentils beforehand!)

Tommy Thu 28-Jun-07 17:20:48

this is a bit of a favourite in our house and very easy to freeze:

Chickpea Curry

1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves,crushed
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 x 400g can chickpeas
450ml vegetable stock (made with stock cube)

Fry onion in oil until soft. Add garlic and spices and cook for 4-5 mins over medium heat.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 1hr.

aDad Thu 28-Jun-07 17:23:37

Excellent. Tommy I have seen you post your chickpea curry recipe on more than one occasion but never made a note of it...
This time I will!

aDad Thu 28-Jun-07 17:25:12

My chilli is similar to Rose Elliot's recipe then, but the spices I use are a good teaspoon of:

smoked paprika
one of ground cumin seed
one of ground coriander
as much chilli as you want

<breathes deeply to get the full aroma coming from the kitchen>

mmm

Tommy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:46:20

aDad - it's about the only thing I follow a recipe for!!

(everything else is made up, chuck in whatever happen to have around)

aDad Thu 28-Jun-07 19:08:40

well I will finally try it out. I'm sure it'll be lovely.

MrsWho Thu 28-Jun-07 20:13:18

lasagne/pasta bakes?

Catz Thu 28-Jun-07 22:26:36

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll get my CD player on tomorrow morning and get going on it!

Thanks again

Catz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now