Talk

Advanced search

Cups conversion - help!!

(16 Posts)
Ladygaladriel Thu 03-Jan-19 13:55:06

Hi
I have tried googling this but every site seems to come out with a different answer. My recipe asks for cups of the following things and I just need to know either the cup size to use or the grams or ml:
- sugar
- water
- golden syrup
- condensed milk

Does anyone have any tried and tested conversions please? I can’t be doing too many practices on this.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Thu 03-Jan-19 13:58:25

If all of its in cups then I don't suppose it matters what size you use as the proportions will be the same

Prinstress Thu 03-Jan-19 14:00:39

Just use the same cup, measure each ingredient so say 1 cup of sugar, 2 cups of water, half cup of Golden syrup? It's more of a ratio than measurement I think.

Ladygaladriel Thu 03-Jan-19 14:18:11

It’s not all in cups though. I also need 8oz chocolate and powdered gelatin in grams. I might just use a teacup and see how it turns out.

rabbitfoodadvocate Thu 03-Jan-19 14:24:21

1/4 cup is 60ml/g

dementedpixie Thu 03-Jan-19 14:39:21

My 1 cup of sugar is 215g, 1 cup water is 220g/220ml. I don't have the other stuff (I was using metal measuring cups btw)

Chocolateismynemesis Thu 03-Jan-19 14:51:10

It depends firstly on whether the recipe is British or American. US cup measurements are different to UK cups. Can’t remember the difference but if you google US vs UK cups I’m sure you’ll find the answer.

As for a ml/gm conversion - you need to do it for each individual item and you need to be specific to the type of sugar or flour. If it’s a US recipe and using plain flour search for “all purpose flour”. If using caster sugar search for “fine granulated sugar”. If it’s a UK recipe then just use the normal terms you are used to here. The important thing is to be specific thought because a cup of brown sugar is different to a cup of caster sugar is different to a cup of whole meal flour is different to a cup of plain flour is different to a cup of milk etc

Ladygaladriel Thu 03-Jan-19 15:30:55

Thank you for all your help. It’s an American recipe and they just say sugar, not sure what type.
I’ll have a proper look tonight and have a couple of practices

Knittedfairies Thu 03-Jan-19 15:33:39

I just bought some baking measuring cups from The Range; I got bogged down with all the conversions too.

Magicstar1 Thu 03-Jan-19 15:38:38

1 cup of butter is 227g
1 cup of plain flour is 125g
1 cup of caster sugar is 200g

PerspicaciaTick Thu 03-Jan-19 15:46:21

It is so much easier to just buy measuring cups.

Chocolateismynemesis Thu 03-Jan-19 15:53:21

Sugar will most likely be the US equivalent of caster sugar which is fine granulated.

Chocolateismynemesis Thu 03-Jan-19 15:54:20

Actually it might be super fine or extra fine. (It’s a few years since I’ve lived in the US and can’t remember - sorry!)

Ladygaladriel Thu 03-Jan-19 19:55:42

Thank you all. I’ll add measuring cups to my list! It’s all very confusing and every site I looked at seemed to say something different.

FawnDrench Thu 03-Jan-19 20:49:38

Could you look for a similar recipe with UK measures?

Ladygaladriel Fri 04-Jan-19 07:19:48

Yes I might try that. It’s a white chocolate mirror glaze if anyone knows one smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »