Talk

Advanced search

Best non-chocolate cake - limited ingredients

(11 Posts)
PorridgeIsYummy Thu 03-Jan-19 08:57:29

Hi, I need to bake a non-chocolate cake for this afternoon. I am away from home and haven't got that many ingredients. I haven't got: cream cheese (a cheesecake would have been perfect), lemons (not enough for a lemon drizzle cake anyway) or butter..., but I I do have sunflower oil.

A carrot cake is not an option as the person the cake is for doesn't like it...

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Playdonut Thu 03-Jan-19 08:59:07

Do you have apple juice? If so you could make an apple and cinamen cake? Or jam?

Playdonut Thu 03-Jan-19 08:59:51

Or go the shop?

FlaviaAlbia Thu 03-Jan-19 09:02:01

If you have 2 or 3 lemons, Mary Berry's whole lemon cake is amazing. You could do it with just a icing drizzle on the top.

PorridgeIsYummy Thu 03-Jan-19 09:04:57

I love Mary Berry lemon drizzle cake, but I only have one lemon...

I obviously can't go to the shops as otherwise I wouldn't be posting this :-). I'm staying somewhere in the middle of nowhere, unfortunately....

FlaviaAlbia Thu 03-Jan-19 09:32:07

Sorry, I missread, I thought you meant you hadn't enough lemons!

Does it have to be a cake? How about muffins? I do these and throw in any fruit I have instead of blueberries and skip the topping.

www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6865/to-die-for-blueberry-muffins/print/

PorridgeIsYummy Thu 03-Jan-19 09:40:40

I have desiccated coconut, but no coconut milk. Any ideas?

mumonashoestring Thu 03-Jan-19 09:46:25

Would a Madeira cake be an option? Easier if you have milk/yoghurt or ground almonds but its quite a flexible recipe.

mumonashoestring Thu 03-Jan-19 09:51:02

Or this one? If you have a bit of jam you could do two and sandwich them www.jennycancook.com/recipes/easy-one-bowl-yellow-cake/

It's another really forgiving recipe that works as a dense sponge, or poured over fruit to make a cobbler style /upside down cake, or with icing... Your lemon, finely seated, would go nicely in it too.

mumonashoestring Thu 03-Jan-19 09:51:26

Seated? Fuck you autocorrect - zested.

FlaviaAlbia Thu 03-Jan-19 12:11:43

Could you do a sponge with oil instead of butter and then put jam and coconut on top?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »