Talk

Advanced search

Help. How do I roast beef rump?

(5 Posts)
Wellhellothere101 Wed 26-Dec-18 09:35:45

Help! I have lots of people coming today for dinner tonight and I've bought beef rump (1.8kg). The problem is I have no idea how to cook it! Instructions on the pack say roast in the over at 160 degrees for 1hr 45 mins but I've never had much success with beef before so need advice. Could I cook it lower and for longer to ensure it's nice and juicy?
It doesn't fit in my slow cooker so that's out. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
TheCrowFromBelow Wed 26-Dec-18 09:46:09

If you cook for too long it will dry out, it will not be juicy, rump is best served rare-ish.

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 26-Dec-18 09:48:55

Try this recipe
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2138667/roast-beef-with-caramelised-onion-gravy

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Wed 26-Dec-18 10:00:53

I would whack it in at 220 for 10 minutes to really caramelise and seal the outside then reduce it to about 120/140 depending on your oven for the rest of the time, with a dish of water in the base of the oven to increase the steam. A couple of hours will be loads, and rest in a warm place for at least 20 mins. Should be wonderful.

Wellhellothere101 Sat 29-Dec-18 11:22:22

Thanks everyone. Sorry I've just noticed the replies for some reason. I cooked the beef as stated on the packet and it was awful! As dry as an old boot! At least we had ham and lots of veg and roast potatoes to eat instead.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »