Talk

Advanced search

Honey under 1 year...

(10 Posts)
pinkspottywellies Tue 26-Jun-07 18:40:28

I know dd can't have honey until she's over a year but I wondered about if it's cooked. I ask because MIL has bought some Peter Rabbit cookies which don't specify not suitable under 12m while other products in the range do and I've also bought a 'kids' pasta sauce then realised it contains honey.

TIA

pinkspottywellies Tue 26-Jun-07 19:35:16

Anyone?

crokky Tue 26-Jun-07 19:51:37

I have some Peter Rabbit cookies but they are apple flavoured. They say not for under 12m, but it is in very small text on the back of the packet very near the bottom (could MIL have not seen it?). Sorry not to be more help.

reikizen Tue 26-Jun-07 19:57:14

The risk (theoretical I think) is to do with a possible bacteria present in honey so place your bets as to whether cooking would kill it. Would be interesting to google whether any child has actually had any reaction to this and what magically happens when they turn one that prevents this...

OldieMum Tue 26-Jun-07 19:59:31

I think the problem is a possible reaction to the pollen, rather than bacteria. I wouldn't risk it, if I were you.

wulfricsmummy Tue 26-Jun-07 20:02:44

Message withdrawn

bohemianbint Tue 26-Jun-07 20:04:31

funny, was just wondering about this as there's a recipe in the 9-12 month section of my baby cook book that uses honey...

reikizen Tue 26-Jun-07 20:07:48

Well, the things you learn on here, and as for the links between bf and infant botulism. Very interesting...

pinkspottywellies Tue 26-Jun-07 22:02:47

Thanks everyone! I think I'll hang on a bit longer with the cookies! I mentioned that I'd heard the Peter Rabbit pasta was good so MIL bought the whole range!! Lots of the things are unsuitable for under 12m but mostly due to texture I think.

myjobismum Tue 26-Jun-07 22:06:04

yeah i was really careful with honey under 12m, but i did make a stupid mistake when DS was 11m and no harm was done - madde a fed him a lovely honey and mustard chicken casserole - duh! he was fine though and i only worried for about 30seconds! bad mummy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: