Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leek Virgin! How much of a leek can one use....????? (pls post stupid question award directly to me)

(9 Posts)
lilKelBel Tue 26-Jun-07 17:21:47

Hello

Um. Ok. So I never cooked with leeks before. I'm a Leek Virgin

I have a Gordon Ramsay recipe for pasta w leeks, mushrooms etc and must use "finely sliced leeks."

Question is, how much of the leek do you use? the dark green bit at the top, or just the white bit near the bottom?

thanks!!

NAB3 Tue 26-Jun-07 17:22:42

I would remove about 1cm of the white from the bottom and 1-2inches of the green, depending on quality, and use the rest.

SaintGeorge Tue 26-Jun-07 17:24:55

Remember to clean them thouroughly too. Put a cut through the width of the leek at the green end, so that you can splay the leaves a little bit, then rinse under running water.

A lot of dirt can get in between the layers as the plant grows up through the soil.

justbeme Tue 26-Jun-07 17:26:11

Hi Likel!!
Same advise as last message and
I always slit the "skin" and chuck the outside leaves IYKWIM. and run under water to make sure no grit is hanging around.
Hope it tastes nice!!

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 17:26:17

I remove almost all of the green, and just cut the hairy end off the white

agree with StG, slice through the green end a few inches down and run it all under the tap, rubbing the dirt out from between the layers

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 26-Jun-07 17:26:46

Glad you are a leek virgin - the alternative would be filthy.

lilKelBel Tue 26-Jun-07 18:10:14

LOL Kathy6inch

No Monika Lewinsky, me!

daisyboo Tue 26-Jun-07 18:13:00

LOL Lilkel, thought you were joking about the leek!

Watch out for the gritty bits in the layers...you cna sometimes get wee slugs hiding in there....yuck, yuck, yuck!

lilKelBel Tue 26-Jun-07 19:19:18

blimey these leeks are rather more edgy and complicated than I thought

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now