Talk

Advanced search

I’m craving a blooming onion this Christmas. Can it be made at home?

(8 Posts)
DailyMailDontStealMyThread Thu 20-Dec-18 21:44:09

I don’t own a deep fat fryer. do I need one to perfect the blooming onion?

I’d love any tips, cheats or recipes to help my Christmas wish come true.

OP’s posts: |
ilovepinkgin33 Thu 20-Dec-18 21:47:35

Do you have a large pan ??? You could fill it with oil maybe that looks bloody amazing

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Thu 20-Dec-18 21:56:44

It is blooming amazing
But I’m guessing I need to get the right ratio of oil v onion otherwise it will be a soggy mess!

There is a farm shop here that sells onions as big as your head.

I’d happily eat 1 a day if I could.

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Fri 21-Dec-18 08:51:23

kateandme Fri 21-Dec-18 17:51:35

google baked onion maybe
paleogrubs.com/baked-blooming-onion

Xiaoxiong Sat 22-Dec-18 00:01:28

I made these once, I wouldn't recommend you make them at home unless you have a deep fat fryer. If not, you will need to use a pot full of ferociously hot oil that is big enough to completely submerge the onion, and you also have to prepare the onion properly or it just melds into a big fried ball with no blooming flower effect.

You have to turn the onion upside down and slice down from the root in a sort of sunburst, then turn over and separate the petals (we just threw them in a big tub of water which did this for us but then you need to drain and pat the onion dry). Then dry coat in seasoned flour getting the flour in between the petals, then wet coat in eggs beaten with some milk (easiest is just to submerge the whole floured onion in the egg/milk wash) and then dry coat again in the flour. And then freeze it for at least 30 mins. Finally, fry the frozen onion by lowering it into hot oil with the root end towards the ceiling so the oil gets straight into all the onion petals, 3-4mins, then turn right side up and fry another 3-4 mins until golden brown and cooked through.

We used to do them in bulk and do all the prep first and freeze them. Then we could just have a freezer full of frozen battered onions and fry them off for customers. Annoying to make just one at home, but an easy appetizer for a restaurant with a commercial deep fat fryer!

MrsMcGarry Sat 22-Dec-18 00:12:20

I had completely forgotten about these. I also used to work in a restaurant that made them and now have cravings too.

We used cajun seasoning in the flour, and it's really important to let it drain for a minute or two on paper towels upside down after cooking - otherwise the oil just congregates in the bottom and makes it soggy.

NewYellowPencilCase Thu 12-Sep-19 21:37:50

Don’t need a deep fat fryer but it’s splashy!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WG05FfeitsY

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in