Talk

Advanced search

Aldi Brie - is it just me or is it a bit weird?

(7 Posts)
FixedIdeal Thu 20-Dec-18 21:21:14

I bought some “premium” range Brie from Aldi, it is rated with a good taste award. It seemed like just the right ripeness from pressing the packet.

To me the texture seems a bit odd, it just seems a bit too consistent, and a bit rubbery. It doesn’t seem to get riper over time the way normal Brie would.

Just thought it was weird and wondered if anyone else noticed this? Is it pretend Brie?!

OP’s posts: |
SparePantsAndLego Thu 20-Dec-18 21:31:08

Not much help with the Brie but I had some gorgonzola from Aldi and I had to throw it away after having only eaten 1/2 of it. The horror! The texture was oddly springy. Their cheddar, however, is exceptional, esp their 25 month old one.

FixedIdeal Thu 20-Dec-18 21:35:55

That sounds similar SparePants! But yes I’ve had several good cheeses from them before too so it was a bit disappointing.

OP’s posts: |
legalseagull Thu 20-Dec-18 22:01:39

The worst is Lidl Camembert. It doesn't melt! Just congealed. My DH laughed that I "can't even melt cheese" but I spoke to other people and they've all said the same!

EspressoButler Thu 20-Dec-18 22:04:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

legalseagull Fri 21-Dec-18 03:07:47

@EspressoButler so that's why!!!

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 22-Dec-18 08:45:06

It's probably stabilised brie - that will soften evenly throughout rather than oozing. Try brie de meaux or brie de melun instead

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in