Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So what's your fave recipe for wild boar with fagioli beans?

(6 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Mon 25-Jun-07 21:19:20

Spot the woman who's just come back from Tuscany...

It's a gorgeous gorgeous dish with slow cooked wild boar or there seemed to be a cheaper version with tuscan sausage instead, served in a tomatoey sauce with fagioli (sp?) beans.

But can anyone tell me if it's really just tomatoes and a stack of olive oil in the sauce, or is there more too it than that. It seemed to have more of a kick to it, but I couldn't work out what.

Stargazing Wed 27-Jun-07 23:38:14

bump!
Because I would like to know too please!

ComeOVeneer Wed 27-Jun-07 23:41:02

Flagolette?

ComeOVeneer Wed 27-Jun-07 23:45:29

Closest I can think of is sausage cassoulet

Sausage Cassoulet - Serves 4

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ready in: 50 minutes

Ingredients: 2 oz diced smoked dry-cure streaky bacon
1 large onion coarsely diced
4 Chipolata Sausage Wild Boar,
4 Chipolata Sausage Venison
4 Chipolata Sausage Game/pork or other
1-4 cloves garlic, chopped
Flageolet and Cannellini beans (tinned or precooked in vegetable stock)
1/2 bottle dry white wine

Directions: In a flameproof casserole cook the bacon very slowly to render the fat, you may need a little oil in the pan to start if the bacon is very lean. Add the onion and when soft twist each sausage to make two small sausages, separate and add to the pan. Increase heat to brown slightly. Add garlic and cook gently. Add wine and stir thoroughly to include the sediment on the bottom of the pan. Strain the beans and add to the pan. Add stock to just cover, bring to the boil, cover and either place in a warm oven, or allow to simmer on the hotplate for at least 40 minutes.

When everything is tender, increase oven heat and sprinkle breadcrumbs mixed with herbs over the top.

Return to oven 'til brown and crisp.

Brangelina Thu 28-Jun-07 00:07:45

Was it with polenta too? I have a Tuscan recipe in Italian that uses porcini mushrooms instead of beans, but I should imagine that the sauces are pretty much the same. I do know you have to marinate the boar mince first in red wine, salt, black pepper, fresh mixed herbs and half an onion. You have to leave it for about 6 hours then drain the meat and pan fry it with garlic and soffritto (carrot, celery and onion finely chopped) and a sprig of mixed herbs (usually rosemary, bayleaf and sage). You then add more red wine and a spoonful of tomato puree, cook till evaporated then add enough passata or pulped tomatoes to make a rich sauce. Cook until tender then season to taste. I should imagine you add the pre-cooked beans at the end and cook together for about 5 mins (which is what you'd do with the mushrooms).
While all this is cooking make the polenta (if having).

I learnt how to make this when working in a hotel in Umbria many years ago, but I've never tasted it as am vegetarian . It always seemed to go down well, though, I used to get this fat bloke in the kitchen to do the seasoning for me at the end.

Flum Thu 28-Jun-07 00:10:33

Yep, I usually chop em up and give em the Fajita treatment.

crazy woman

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now